• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

South Dakota turkey hunting

Saw557

I am thinking of heading to the Black Hills next spring and was wondering if anyone was willing to share some info about where to hunt and which season would be the best. I 've hunted MN and IA the last few years so I have a fair idea whats going but any help would be greatly appriecated
Thanks
Scott

I have hunted out there only one year and went twice that year to try and get one. From my experiance out there and from the people that I have talked to there are turkeys everywere. Two years ago when I went we seen something like 10 birds a day in different locations. As far as the time of year, that is a good question if I knew that I would be guiding out there because everyone I know has been for years trying to find that one out too. From what I gather the later in the season the better. They feel that the weather is too cool yet up there in the begining of the season and the hens are not ready to do thier thing. And what worked good for the guys in my party that year seamed to be the spot and ambush thing. Because for what ever reason we would roost birds at night and the next morning they seamed to move?? I don't know why but they did. But like I said if you stay out there all day and put your time in you will get a bird. I have only been doing this for a couple years now and I even had some success at it but didn't personally kill anything but got a couple in for my buddies.
I hope this helps and good luck!

This was my 5th spring chasing Merriams in the Black Hills.

As far as the best time to go. A lot depends on the type of spring you get. I usually shoot for the 3-4 week in April. Sometimes this is right on and other times it's too early. We went out May 4-9 this spring and the gobblers were still henned up. The guys who went early had pretty good results as the gobblers were willing but the hens weren't.

One thing though, the earlier you go the greater the chance of getting snowed in. I mean by major blizzards. I've missed several by a coouple day going late in April.

These birds cover a lot of ground. A running and gunning approach generally works best. Anywhere in the Black Hills will work. I've hunted from Hot Springs to Lead and lots of places in between. There's lots of land and lots of birds to be chased. Don't get too hung up on one bird or one place. There's lots of others available.

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by Borch (edited 05-17-2004).]