• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Duluth area stream fishing in August

npn74

I know this is a tough time of year for fly fishing the smaller streams. I drove to Stoney Brook near Brainerd tonight and found it very low and pretty much un-fishable...pretty common for this time of year. I just got back from a trip to Yellowstone and now I'm fired up to find some trout waters nearby. Are there any streams in the Duluth area that have decent flow at this time of year? I was thinking of trying the Straight near Park Rapids, but guessing that could be pretty low as well. I don't know the Duluth area very well...any suggestions? Thanks.

If your willing to drive to Duluth, then your willing to take it a few miles further and fish the southshore streams in WI. They are all spring fed and maintain good water levels year round. Not to mention they have resident trout populations as well. Duluth streams are entirely dependent on snow melt and rainfall, and basically are just nurseries for the spawning fish from the big lake. I didn't see any of the trout streams in the area, but the St. Louis River was extremely low as of last week, so I'm guessing the streams are just a trickle.