• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Algae stained water tactics

Wish-I-Were-Fishn

One of the lakes a fish for bass was a pretty heavy algae bloom now and I've not had much luck there lately. I've been worming the weed line in the morning, which has always paid off until now. Any thoughts on what I should try next time out by way of tactics, lures, colors, time of day, etc?

Try buzzbaits on the inside flats off points in the late afternoon. You can see the search pattern left on the surface of the water as you retrieve your bait. It really lets you see how much water you miss, I have good results doing this as it seems to annoy the heck out of anything into biting. I also do the same thing on the algae bloom, treating the edge just like I treat fallen leaves on the surface in fall, Just another edge to fish

Try spinnerbaits or chatterbaits for reaction strikes. If you want to slow down and fish the bottom, try jigs with a larger trailer, 10" plastic worms and creatures that display water, like brush hawgs or beavers. On real dirty lakes(less that 1ft vis.), I've had better luck fishing the bottom. On lakes not quite as bad, around 2ft vis, then spinnerbaits work well for me also.

LOL, I just got my but kicked last night on a dirty lake.  The water clarity was 16" at best.  I started out fishing docks and pads, then moved to outside weed edges (weeds ended in around 4' of water). We were only able to get two fish off of docks.  We did find quite a few in weeds (culled several times) but couldn't find any decent fish.  It seemed like the perfect night to fish docks: an evening of calm water following three days of stable weather.  Anyways the winners found some hard bottom around 15' deep.  My advice is to get side imaging and find hard bottom in deeper water (deep meaning over 8').