• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need source for seeds for bee plants and milkweed plants.

We are going to try to help the bees around our place and I want to know where to buy Heritage plants, flowering mainly and also where to get milkweed seeds. We are in N'west MN. I will check with the UofM folks but thought some people here might already be doing this.

Thank you.

Milk weed for Monarch catipilers is a must.It needs wintered to sprout,I cant think of the name its called.For bees and butterfiies any flower will do.Ch.11 news on saturday with Bobby and Bilinda the nursery theu are associated with does have the seeds.

I have bags full of milkweed,Butterfly flowers a relitive of milkw2eed and I'd be happy to share.Mine have been wintered,For our 3 acres I have 25 of each growing ready to trasnplant.Its getting late in the year to start from seed.They will be back next year but may not fully develope in time for catipilers this year.

If you have land, put in a half acre of clover... That's one of the better bee plants. For a garden plant use catmint (nepeta)... Walker's Low is a good choice. I have 4 (they'll get 2-3' in dia).and there are times I have 100 bees in there working on them... And they bloom almost continuously

Good Luck!

Ken

Whoooaaa Labs.....why didn't I think of clover! Ha Ha Ha. Will note the other one too and try to find a source. We meant to do this last year but we are starting to slow down. I have built so many bird houses I may have to get contractors license! Now its time for our other little winged friends.

Incidentally....that little orphan girl an old pal dropped in my lap a couple falls back, a runt that at one time would have simply been tossed aside, is the most intelligent and clever little 63-pounder you'll ever find. She can do 12'-15' off my dock and I have never really had to "train" her.....just tell her what I want. Amazing pal for a little throw away puppy.

Oh. Abigail Jane.

Thank you.

I might contact you after the holiday weekend regarding the butterfly plants. I know about the milkweed but not the other you mention. If you have some extras ready to go we can work something out.

Thank you.