• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who's went old school?

deerminator

... shaving? I was at the MOA with the family last week over spring break and walked by the Art of Shaving store. While I didn't feel like paying their prices for a starter kit, I went home and online and ordered a safety razor and all the supplies. After I got over the terror I was going to cut my throat open, I've actually really enjoyed it. You go with the grain, not against it ever apparently. Key is beard reduction and after a couple of passes with the grain, you get a closer shave with very little irritation. Just have to remember slow short strokes. Maybe someday I'll be like a real man and shave with a straight razor like Clint Eastwood in the old westerns.

full-25796-54645-fullsizerender(12).jpg

Yeah, if you go online, there's a good instructional video. Just Google Art of Manliness and Shave Like Your Grandpa. I did some research and Taylor of Old Bond Street appears to be a good brand of pre-shave oils, shaving creams, and aftershaves for your money. Art of Shaving stuff looks good too but pricier. Merkur makes a good safety razor but if you look around, you could get an antique too. A safety razor will cost you about $40 bucks but the replacement blades are far cheaper than cartridges.