• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Early ice out bluegill search?

WIMN

Hey guys,

I'm heading to a cabin in Wisconsin for a week of R&R starting this Saturday. There are a few very small panfish lakes that I've had luck on catching big sunnies during the summertime. My plan was to launch a canoe and troll some bobbers and hooks until we get some bites. I am not a skilled fisherman by any means and never have luck ice fishing, though, and the reading I've done says the panfish might still be in their deep "winter holes."

Here are a few lakes I was looking at (click for map)--

Green Lake - about 6 feet deep (has aerators) and 251 acres

Peterson Lake - 16 ft max depth, 81 acre size

Lily Lake - 21 acres, 44 ft max depth (Have never fished Lily before but maybe its small size would be good?)

I am thinking peterson since it is the smallest lake and has a nice little bay on the north end that might have warmer water. This contour map of Peterson Lake shows one hole in the center of the lake that's 16' feet deep, then the rest of the main body of the lake is 5-10' deep, and that back shallow bay is 3' feet. I am just not sure what the water temps will be and if the fish will be active. What do you think?

Any recommendations? Would it even be worth hauling the canoe, buying a license and bait and giving it a go? (Fishing licenses expire March 31 in WI, so I'm good for this year but don't plan on doing much fishing next year.) Weds and Thurs have pretty nice forecasts, so it seems like they might be nice days for a paddle. If they are too finicky I have other things I could do instead.

Forecast is highs 45-50 with a bit of rain Monday and Wednesday, with Tuesday a high of 60 and partly cloudy. I think I would go that Tuesday before another bad weather system moves in, maybe they'd be more aggressive then?

Any advice would be appreciated in terms of what bait/jigs/hooks to use and if it'd be worth renewing my license.

Thanks

I'd probably start in that 16' hole with some "ice fishing" jigs and eurolarva. I wouldn't spend much time in that north bay unless I could actually see some activity. I would imagine its still pretty cold if the ice just got off the lake. Good luck!

Would also agree with Craigums to focus your efforts on the deep edge of that hole. The temps. at night lately have been much to cold for much activity in that shallow water. It probably has had skim ice over it each morning this past week. Won't be long if we get some average temps. during the day, and especially at night to get some insect life moving around there, the fish won't be far behind. Don't expect to find them consistently up there for quite a while though. They will slide in and out with the water temps..

Pull out the same tackle you were using during late-ice, or even go smaller.