• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First of the spring for me.

MN Shutterbug

Super Mike! Looks like he's found a great spot to dine. Heard one out in the direction of the American cranberries this a.m. then saw one on the wires on the way into the office. Was one area of the small garden south of the house where the frost was out entirely over lunch. Angleworms should be on their menu soon!

I just checked my google calendar and the robins were almost a week earlier this year than last. They first appeared in my yard on the 19th last year and the grackles the following day. As soon as I see the first grackle I'll be changing the menu.

Down to NW Iowa last week for a visit. Robins all over the place, mallard drakes chasing the hens already and Canada geese pairing off. Pot holes are open or opening, too, with lots of ducks around.

There is an eagle nest down there that looks to be about as far along as the MN Eagle cam, too. Second or third year for it. We happened to be watching when the nesting pair changed the watch. It sure looked like they were feeding something down inside, and they were definitely brooding either eggs or newly hatched chicks.

Grass is greening up real nice with nearly all the snow gone, except for the biggest piles. Cock robin fights all over the place and crow pairs are reestablishing their nesting territories already.

Really feels like spring; so I decided to plant some peas on Friday, but no matter where I went I couldn't find any place that was stocking the inoculant... It will just have to be radishes and carrots Monday or Tuesday, I suppose. Too early perhaps, perhaps not...

Had to change the feeders and menu today. I heard redwings at the park last evening and the first grackle showed up in my yard this morning, also about a week earlier than last year. This is the first year since I've been here, almost 5 years, that the robins have actually fed in my crab apple tree.

full-11440-53890-robin1.jpg

full-11440-53891-robin2.jpg