• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pike reel

Have a trip to Canada for big pike on memorial weekend. I would like to get a casting reel and I am a shimano guy. I have two curado's 200 but would like a 300? Do you think it is necessary to have a 300? Does anybody else have any recommendations?

It's certainly not "necessary". I do a week-long Manitoba pike trip every spring and mostly use spinning rigs. For big baits I use an Abu Garcia Black Max casting reel. I've caught lots of 40"+ fish on both rigs, I think my biggest at 47-1/2 was on a spinning rig. But if you need an excuse to justify a new rig, go for it.

You won't hook more fish with a curado 300 vs the 200. Match the tackle to the lure/bait smile As long as you have braided mainline and proper drag settings, you'll have more than enough muscle to go after any esox around.

I actually do most of my June fishing with medium power spinning gear, as I'm trolling jointed shad rap 9s quite a bit (I don't use big lures much at all in the early open water season). 20-30lb braided line lets me put 5-10lbs of drag on any fish, which is more than enough stopping power for any size esox. I probably even start out with 3 or 4lbs of drag. A true monster is a great fight, but lets face it these aren't tuna. Your 200's max drag should be in the 15lbs area for a full spool, that'll muscle in a 4 footer with ease if you have line and terminal tackle to match.

The baitcasting reels and big lures come out later in the year for me.