• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To fish.....or not to fish?

Granny

After a few days of mild sunny days, it appears that the weather is going to change. The forecast for tomorrow is: "Mostly cloudy and windy. A chance of light rain. Colder with highs 47 to 52. Northwest winds 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent." I can get off work a little early tomorrow. I know a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work, but would you guys hit the water in the fall with this forecast? I have had a couple days this summer where it was just poor and I think to myself "why would I even think that the fish would be biting today".

Granny

Granny-
I think you should sell your boat and your rods and give up the sport. People have been jailed for less!!!

I went out two weeks ago in nasty, cold, rainy weather and hammered them. Was one of the the best outings I've had all year.

Tomorrow is "the day" to be out - just get out as early as you can.

Hey now, let me give a little more info before you cut off my thumbs. Basically I can get off work a little early once a week. This usually gives me about an hour extra of fishing in the evening. With the forecast given is it worth using my one time a week to leave early or is not looking good? Of course I am going to go fishing but I am wondering what your thoughts are.

I really wished I could have been able to make it out tonight before the front comes through. I bet the fish would be biting pretty good, plus I just want to get a few extra trips in with the new boat. Not much time until early ice.

I went out tonight and had no luck!

Maybe I was fishin' wrong. Maybe I was fishin' the wrong place. But nobody around me seemed to be catchin' anything either. Wish I could get out in the morning but then I'd be fighting rush hour traffic just to get to work.

wow !! i knew these folks were die hards ! but ?? granny; the choice is up to you. i go when i can reguardless of the weather. partly to get out and the other is to see how the the fishing mite be.it could be poor, or very good. also gives you the chance to try different lures,technics, and such, under different conditions. i look at fishing not only as a time to relax, but another day in class. del

I thought they'd be snappin last night, not so. I had one decent fish bust me off in some wood. The only fish that I landed turned out to be a 19" 4.4lb largey. Same thing last Friday, one fish 20" 4.8lbs. Don't get me wrong, those are nice shutout avoiding fish, but I was hoping for more numbers for 6-7hrs of fishing. It's not over yet, we still got a couple of good weeks worth of fall bass fishing.

Well, I should have stayed home! The fishing was ok, but the paddle back against the wind with a dying trolling motor just wasn't worth it. I spent more time trying to control the boat than actually fishing. I put on my rain gear right before we hit the water and left the boat key in the other jacket and didn't notice until we were blown 3/4 of the way across the lake. After the trolling battery went dead I switched over to the starting battery but that pretty much went dead also. The winds were really blowing! We ended up with 5-6 laremouth, a couple Pike, and a sore back. One bass was around 16" and the other a little over 19". The others were all small. All the fish came in less than 5ft of water off of spinnerbaits.

Granny

This time of the year, we really need to be smart out there.. glad you ended up ok and just a little sore...

On Chisago Lake this last weekend a couple of guys went out in a small canoe type thing and flipped it... water temps are starting to get dangerous... please be smart!!!

on a side note.. congrats on the 19" fish.. had to be a little worth the trip...

Sort of reminds me of a trip we had a few years ago.. It was an after-work trip with a buddy of mine on Tonka (you know all rushed to get to the lake after work and get some fishing in before dark...) Get to the launch with the boat and see that I forgot the keys.. uggghhh.. perfect day with no keys... So, we fire up the 9.9 kicker and fish this area near the landing the entire evening... This was back when we were into muskie fishing... I ended up catching a 51.5" muskie - still my biggest fish to date... We would have never fished that area had we brought the keys... Luck was on our side after all that night!

Granny, sorry to hear of the bad luck... At least you got a few fish to go along with the sore back! Still beats work though, doesn't it? wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Dan Wood (edited 10-16-2004).]

Yea, that is a good idea. I never take the key out of my boat but becuase it was so windy I took it out just to be safe while traveling. Looks like this weekend will be more of the same windy weather. Planning on fishing the weekend away and bringing the key this time!

Granny