• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What sizes of tungsten jig?

gunner55

What is everyones favorite sizes to target some basin crappies? This is 40 fow with the fish generally between 20-30'.I know that they have different ways to classify their jigs as some are by weight(1/16,1/32,...),others use hook size(10,12,14) & still others use size of the jighead such as 3,4,or 5 mm.I'm just getting back into icefishing & have little to no experience with tungsten jigs.Thanks

Another thing is what are you using on these jigs? Are these fish aggressive because if they are you can use a bigger heavier jig or if they biting light you may need to use a lighter jig so they can suck it in easier. 1/32 is good weight which is near the 4mm size. If you need more weight jump up to 5mm jigs. I have been fishing crappies in water around 20-23 feet. I have been using the 1/32nd sized jigs, but to get more of the gills I needed a lighter jig so they could suck it in better. I went to the 1/64th and this has been a much better size for getting them gills and even crappies when they are not aggressive.

I do not have a wheelhouse yet. I like to hop hole to hole without my portable. I use my portable as warming station most days. Make sure the rod you are using has a soft enough tip to see the bite but backbone to stick them crappies when they down deep. Another thing I added to one of my rods and reel combos is some bright green line so I can watch the line when they are biting light. I have spring bobber poles but with plastics I don't like using the spring bobbers.