• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Suggestions on what to plant

At the end of this season, got permission to hunt some land for next years bow season. The property is an 80 acre piece of land. Now, the land is planted in ag crops about 3/4 of the way across it. On the field edges, there are some stands of Oaks maybe 40 yards wide and then it drops off into river bottom with a nice river. Talking with the land owner, there is some spots of high land out in the river bottom where the deer are more than likely bedding and then making their way out into the fields to eat. There are some nice little "pockets" on the edge of the tree line where I would like to plant a couple of food plots, which I am hoping that the deer will perhaps come into while they are staging in the woods before making their way out into the bigger ag fields. The ag fields on the 80 is split in half, with half being in alfalfa and the other half being corn. The farmer does leave about 30-40 rows of standing corn for the deer as well. What I am wondering is what would be the seed of choice to plant in my little pocket plots? I'm kind of leaning towards planting something along the lines of turnips that would be a bit better later in the season since they have 40 acres of alfalfa to graze on in the early part of the season. Thoughts?