• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Engine Block or oil pan heater question

Jackson Venjohn

Ok so I have a 1989 polaris Indy 500 classic with 3k miles on it that I keep outside with a cover on it. I live in central mn so it gets down to around -20 to -30 at most for temps. Even at like 15 degrees it can be a slower start (like usual) and I was wondering, does anyone use engine block or oil pan heaters for their snowmobiles? I am looking in to getting one of them. Any ideas or recommendations? Thanks for your time fellas!

Jackson

You could possibly try a coolant heater but a oil heater will not help you since its a 2 stroke.

Best thing to do is use synthetic injection oil because it remains more fluid in the super cold temps, but overall I dont think a heater will do much for you.

I never had one and have had sleds pretty much all my life.

Now if it were a 4 stroke I would say a tank heater and a trickle charger for the battery.

They absolutely work! My buddy had a highly modified motor in his sled we called "the big block".

It was a 1025cc 2 stroke that was harder than heck to start on cold mornings. He put on a heater hose heater and he was usually the first one running on the coldest days.

If a person doesn't want to go through the trouble of installing a heater, a hairdryer does the trick nicely, set it on high for about 15 minutes ( longer if it's colder out ) and you'll be good to go. Doesn't hurt to cover the engine with something like a jacket or sweatshirt just to trap the heat in for a little bit.

Mike