• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice anchor to pull yourself out on the ice...

RJMOEN

New 4wheeler this year...about to put a winch and plow mount on it. Plow mount rides kinda low and was thinking what I could do if stuck in a drift out on the lake. I will be running chains on the rear tires. Anyone make any type of anchor to pull out with on ice? Thought about making a bar or something to drop in a hole and hook the winch up to...

Unless your plowing on the lake I'd take the plow off.

If your stuck on the lake and have a plow on, take the plow off and back out.

If your stuck on the lake and don't want to take the plow off then your going to have to pull yourself out.

So what if you have to go backwards to get out. I carry a come a long for that.

Lets say you can get out going forward. Winch is on the front holding the plow.

Use a ratchet strap to hold the plow up and remove the winch cable from plow.

A pipe with a 8' rope through it knotted off and both ends of pipe. Drill a hole, attack a tow rope to the center of the pipe. Send the pipe down and don't let go of the 8' rope smile

Did I say take the plow off before going on the lake and if you didn't take it off when your stuck. smile I'm on the ice every day with an ATV and have been stuck every which way your can and its the plows fault. smile

You say plow mount..... taking the plow off and concerned about the mount dragging? I haven't had that problem, although as was said above, the plow has gotten me stuck before.

I have about a 3 foot chunk of 4x4 post with an Eye bolt drilled through it near one end that I bring along, strapped to the rack. I've only used it a couple of times but it's worked to get me going again when I broke through crust and into slush. Just drilled a hole and put it in there with the winch cable hooked up. It's a little bit of a pain as it wants to keep floating up until you get the cable tight enough to wedge the 4x4 across the hole (just dropping it in vertical) but it works.

As I said I've only needed it twice , but in those times it made it well worth the other times that I had it along and didn't use it.