• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help! Where did the mature doe and bucks go?

Musky-buck

So here it is..... I have been bow hunting for about 7 years now and feel like I know what I'm doing being successful in the past few years taking decent bucks. This year I find myself being very clueless. So here's what's going on. I bow hunt in the taylors falls area on some private ground and have been doing my homework on the property. I have had a lot of bucks on camera the past months along with doe's. The past few weeks I have been hunting really hard morning' sand nights. The last buck I saw was a decent 12 pointer about two weeks ago. Since that time I have witnessed no pre-rutting by smaller bucks, all the mature does are gone all that I'm seeing are yearlings and spoke bucks, I have no confidence, what's going on????????? I would really appreciate any feedback from more experienced hunters. I don't think the mature does are on lock down could it be?

If you've been hunting "really hard" the past few weeks, there's a good chance you pushed the does out or at least made them nocturnal. What are the cameras showing? Activity at night, or no activity at all? There are does in heat right now and they'll have the largest bucks in your area locked down with them. If that doe isn't on your property, all you're going to see is yearling bucks out looking. Once that doe is bred, they'll be out looking again. Hunt downwind of traditional doe bedding areas. It can happen quickly this time of year, cold one day, hot the next. Still 3 weeks of good hunting ahead of us!

Thanks for the reply, I haven't been kicking up any does going in or out, I feel like im wasting my time in the woods now. Should I back off on hunting the property? When would be the best times to go, how long till the mature doe's come back generally?

If you've been hunting "really hard" the past few weeks, there's a good chance you pushed the does out or at least made them nocturnal.

That's my best guess too. I believe we're still days away from peak breeding, so doubt many are in lockdown yet.

Mature does catch on pretty darn quick on smaller properties. Even if you're not bumping them in/out, chances are they're picking up your boot scent on your entry/exits after you leave. With the corn out now, could be as simple as a food source change too. If the cams aren't showing deer over the past 3-4 days, I'd say you need to change properties asap.

How many different stands and locations are you hunting on the property?

I pretty much only hunt a stand a few times a year. I hate hunting the same stand 2 days in a row. I like 3-4 stands on a couple different properties so I don't burn any of them out. Each one I will only hunt out of at certain times or winds.

I have buddies that only have 1 or 2 stands and hunt almost everyday, not good at all.