• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

nils auger

jackoh58

Question

I have an eight inch nils master auger. It cut great at first. After using it a while and being only 5'6" tall I find myself whanting to cut it down about 12" shorter. This thing cost about twice that of a strike master and I am not sure it works as good. Anybody else have similar problem?
Thanks

4 answers to this question

jackoh58.. TAKE IT BACK!! A friend of mine bought one at the ice fishing show in Dec. He really thought the Nils auger was the cats meow. Not so, he took it back to Thorne Brothers 2 days later. I believe they don't carry hem there any more.To much bad feed back.

Here are my concerns.
1) auger is way to tall.
2) you can't get the blades sharpened.
3) the auger catches when you break through the ice.
4) very expensive.

I assume you were talking about the power auger and not the hand auger. I also have a friend who has a hand Nils aguer and hates it.
Go with a Strike Master or a Jiffy!

peace,
sj

I've used the Nils for 15 - 20 holes so far and I still haven't got the two handed method down. My holes are not straight, actually they zig zag. I think the more I use it, the more I'll be proficient with it.

I'm guessing that the reason people complain about its height are the ones that are used to putting heavy pressure on top of a auger to get it go down. Let the auger do the work, my 8" is 10lbs., all I do is turn the thing without any downward pressure. So far, so good, I have no complaints using the Nils. Would I have been just as happy if I went with a Lazer? Yea, probably, but sometimes you gotta give new ideas and items a chance and not always follow the crowd.

Glad to hear feedback on these augers... I have been looking at getting one for the early and late ice season, instead of dragging the gas auger out... I'm now leaning towards the lazer...

I disagree, I am talking about the hand auger only here. If you have not used these augers, then you are not use to the 2 hand/shoulder technique to make your auger work...let the head of the auger and blades do work..it takes little effort. If you guys take care of your equipment, like I do, there is no need to sharpen them. If your going to bang the thing around on the ice or abuse the thing in a way to ruin the head, well yes then you have to get them sharpened, but as long as you don't abuse them, never have to sharpen again as long as you own it. If the auger gets "stuck" after drilling a hole, you drilled your hole at an angle, all you have to do is give it a good short snap pull to get it up thru the hole. I still the Nils is the best hand auger out there, but if your going to abuse it these are not for you.