• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

metal blade baits

bucketmouth64

I have never used metal blade baits. When do you use them, size, and color? Any good brands? I saw a bunch of them clearancing at Walmart for a buck. Don't recall the brand. Didn't pick any up since I have never used them before. Any input would be helpful.

Not sure if this will be any help, but becareful buying your blade baits at Walmart, their Spinnerbaits work fine, but I think I am probably the only guy that has Buzzbaits that run under the water, instead of on top, they were on clearance for a buck, and thought I'd give them a try. I'll say one thing, they are original, I would spend the couple extra bucks and pick up a couple brand name Buzzbaits. Check out Gander, they are also having some clearance sales, and you will probably get some that run like they are supposed to.
As far as color, I've always heard to stick with the chartruse or whites in Spinnerbaits, or something that is close to a shad color. I picked up a dozen or so that kind of covers the spectrum, with some in natural colors also, if I see one that looks different or catches my eye, I'll pick one up, but I only use them now and then so I don't focus on them, just passing on what I have heard in the past, you'll get some good answers here I'm sure, there are some knowledgeable guys on this forum, good luck.

------------------
Good Luck To All, Wormburner!
Buy a trailer,help support my fishing habit!

[This message has been edited by wormburner (edited 03-12-2004).]

Wormburner,
I FINALLY understand your motto on your signature, "Buy a trailer, help support my fishing habit." I looked under your profile and now it makes sense. It always made me curious after reading each of your posts, but now, I know.

Thought I'd share,
Coach Dog

------------------
GIT-R-Done!

Are you talking about Cicada type baits? They look like a willow blade with a treble and a molded on weight? I think these baits definately have a place in the arsenal. As for name brands, I think they are like rattle traps and other rattle baits, there is not a bad one. It depends on what the fish want. They are good early spring baits when the fish are still deep on main channel and lake points. They should be jigged verticle for best results. Work them like a jigging spoon.

Thanks Clay. That is what I was looking for. I don't have that type of bait in my arsenal so I don't have much knowledge about them. It sounds like a good time to use them is when the water temps are on the colder side. Is this accurate? What about after cold fronts?

Yes, this is accurate. I think during weather swings in the spring they would work. I think that once the fish have gotten into their late spring early summer patterns other baits will work better. There will be more fish shallow where other baits will be affective. Hope this helps.

Bucketmouth, sorry thought you were talking about spinnerbaits, and buzzbaits.

Coach Dog, Yep I sell and lease semi trailers, and fishing is main habit, the two just kinda went together when I made a signature.

------------------
Good Luck To All, Wormburner!
Buy a trailer,help support my fishing habit!