• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ninilchik area August 2-8

I want to say thanks to everyone and sorry for posting this on here but you all have been such great resources for me I thought I would ask here.

I am going on my Honeymoon to The Keani Penninsula and we are staying in Ninilchik (halfway between Homer and Soldotna, sort of) and here is what I know

1) We most likely are going to miss second run of big Kings

2) We have a guide for Tuesday and Wednesday for a float on the Kasilof

3) I would chew my arm off if I didn’t wet a line from Saturday until Tuesday

4) The new wife is planning far more excursions that don’t involve fishing for my taste

I am bringing a couple of rods and going to pick up some spinners (don’t hate on me because I am not fly fishing – I just don’t have the time). This will be down and dirty for me for a few hours in the morning and maybe in the evening each day.

Here is what I want to understand better

1) General areas to fish that are walkable into and just in general what to expect or look for

2) I have never been to AK and really don’t know “The Program” meaning I don’t know all of the Do’s and Don’t’s.

3) General tips for and suggestions from people that have made the trip (please include any suggestions for site seeing and restaurants, etc.)

Thanks again everyone and anyone for your thoughts. PM me or reply to the post.

Tight lines!

I've never fished the Kasilof so I can't help you there. Not much to Ninilchik its kind of "in the woods", although it is a center for Halibut fishing. The beach at Deep Creek is the launching point for numerous charter boats. So take a day and do that. In Homer you can charter multi-species trips. They can target some ocean silvers (coho), ling cod and rock fish. There are lots of shore fishing sites on the Kenia River near Soldotna which isn't much of a drive.

As far as the dos and don'ts go ......I would visit the Hardware Hank in Soldotna (right on main road) for tackle. They have an extensive selection and will sell what works. DO know the regulations which can differ depending on the section of river you are fishing. Other than that ask for information. I've made 8 trips and always found the locals and other fisherman very helpful.

If you haven't totally committed to spending all your time in Ninnilchick consider Seward. Very scenic lot of side activities, decent restaurants and some night life, ocean charters, shopping, tours. A trip north to Denali National Park is well worth the time. There are nice hotels in Glitter Gulch which in itself something to experience. Raft trips in that area is also a fun way to spend a day. A day touring around Anchorage is worth the time.

Do a multi species trip out of seward. You can catch halibut, rockfish, silvers and ling cod for about the same price as you would pay out of deep creek for a halibut trip. In seward you have a very high probability of seeing whales porpoises etc. the scenery there is incredible as you will be traveling through the kenai fjords. much better ocean fishing trip than out of homer or deep creek.

Go to the Trustworty (not hardware hank) in soldotna for your spinners, specifically kodiak customs in #4 hot pink, orange, and purple with a single hook. Trebles are not legal in many places and have a higher tendency of snagging. I haven't noticed a reduced hookup while fishing other than fewer snagged fish.

check out exit glacier outside of seward.

kenai should be fishing well. Find slower water. The pinks ar estarting to show and you won't be able to keep them off your line, plus you have honest shots at silvers. Kings are done already, returns were dismal this year.

I would recommend doing a guided trip on the kenai river for silvers or trout on the upper or middle river. the southern peninsula streams probably will be getting silvers and have some sea run dolly varden at that time. I don't fish them much because I am on the kenai every day but they can be fun, but also very hit or miss. Fish them on a high tide or don't waste your time.