• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bird ID help

harvey lee

Congratulations! Sounds like you have an orchard oriole. In certain light I suppose it could appear burgundy. The first orchard orioles we've seen arrived here today.

The one I have does not have any white on it's wings and it seems to be a much deeper rust color on it's breast. The winds are all jet black, no others colors on the wind. Other than that, they look close to the same.

A photo would help clear it up. The orchard oriole we have here exhibits much less white than any of the 3 bird books I have or the one in Mike's excellent photo for that matter. The white on the wings is much less pronounced than it is on the Baltimore orioles and orchard orioles are smaller in size. One doesn't realize it sometimes until you see the two species close to each other. The color on the male orchard oriole here is also darker but that has varied from individual to individual over the years. I'd still recognize that scolding anyplace after listening to them the past 10 or so springs. smile

I'd still recognize that scolding anyplace after listening to them the past 10 or so springs. smile

What are they scolding you for Mark? You must be doing something they don't like. smile

I've noticed that even Baltimore Orioles aren't all painted the same. Most seen to have the darker breast but others have more of a yellow/orange cast. Maybe it has to do with age. I dunno.

full-11440-45642-oriolepretty3.jpg

full-11440-45644-oriolepretty.jpg

I would guess it has to be an oriole. Just lkike people, some have big ears, taller, shorter and we all have different colored hair.

The bird in question is a smaller variety of the oriole for sure.

Pretty bird for sure.

Sure nice too see all the varity of birds this spring, I can just look out the patio door and enjoy seeing all the colorful tweety's. They may eat me out of house and home if there are more that come to feed but I sure enjoy them all.

Never thought the day would come when I can sit in the recliner and just watch the birds at the feeder, some may say very boring but I sure enjoy them all.

Mike: They scold me because I don't get their feeders cleaned and refilled as fast as they'd like! smile

I agree Harvey. They've really put on a show this spring here and in a short period of time. Just watching the rapid movement of all the different colors has really been entertaining.

So that's what that bird is. I've seen the same bird in my yard. Interesting thing about the other orioles too. I only have a couple here and they both have the oranger breast. Don't know if I've ever seen any with the yellower color. Awesome pics though Shutterbug.