• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kicker for 2007 Sylvan 1700 Expedition

I have a 2007 Sylvan Expedition 1700 with a 115 4 stroke Yamaha on it. I actually love the boat, I bought it brand new. But it never would troll down to a speed I liked with the 115 Yamaha. I am looking into getting a kicker 9.9 Yamaha completely controlled from the drivers seat. Start/Stop, Throttle, Fwd./Rev, Tilt/Trim all controlled from the cockpit. I am getting prices that are all over $4300.00 installed to do this. Does that seem in line with what it should be?

Anyone have any recommendations on where to get a quote to this addition to my boat?

I am not even sure it pays to add this package to the value of my boat, I don’t know if it would add $4300.00 to the value to my boat or not.

What are your thoughts guys??

Probably won't add full cost to value of boat.

I looked and sticker price for just the motor, no controls or anything is in the 3 to 3.5 grand range (higher number has power tilt). This time of year might have to give pretty close to that. Then controls, accessories, rigging. it adds up. Oh and sales tax is another $250.

Plausible number.

Or you can troll with a bow mount, get a trolling plate or drag a drift sock or two (or a couple of 5 gallon buckets if you are really cheap).

It would add to the value of the boat but the increase in value would probably be the used value of a plan jane kicker without all the bells and whistles.

Or add trolling bags hung off the sides.

I guess my question would be this. Do you have intentions on selling the boat? If you don't have a plan to do so then why worry about the value of the boat vs. the value added to your fishing time as well as the wear and tear on your main motor.

I run the Sylvan Eliminator 1800 and put a T8 on mine for a kicker. I did all the rigging myself including the remote controls, steering linkage and then added on a ControlKing throttle control. You can find some good deals on the motors and controls if you shop around, but if you don't have the ability to do it then that price doesn't sounds too bad.

The value added isn't as much about the money as it is in the ability to fish the way you want. Now if you only troll once or twice a year then stick with the bow mount or the drift socks, but if you troll on a regular basis then do yourself a favor and get a kicker.

Another way to think of it is that now you have an extra motor on the boat for those emergencies when the main motor has an issue, or if you have H.P. restricted lakes around you this will allow you to fish them without worry.

Just my $.02

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies; I guess I should set a few things straight. I am not really concerned what it will add to the value of my boat as much as the $4300 is a decent price? I did talk to another dealer again today and they were right at the same price as the others $4100 - $4300.

I do troll about ½ the time I am fishing mainly mid-season. I do have a 55 Lbs. Terrova on the bow but into the wind it just cannot pull my boat fast enough. I could maybe jump up a size on the trolling motor and hope that would do the trick.

Coryy,

Do you have any pictures you could post or send me on how yours turned out?

I am pretty sure I could do it myself but not sure where to tie into the fuel lines and stuff like that.