• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

15 hp yamaha break in

mrpike1973

the typical break in is about a 10 hour window of use(actual running time). this is what I was told when I got my 40HP Yamaha four stroke. during this time don't run it wide open. it is better to run half way open with the occassional run up to 3/4 open(only for a few minutes at a time) then to go wide open right away. the rings need time to seat properly so you do get blow by. Just take it easy for awhile and by next season you will be good to go. The Yamaha's are great motors.

thanks guys took it out today and very disappointed i could not get it to start it would pop off then die. after many attempts it finally started. this took about 10 minutes. i kept pumping the bulb letting it sit. in case i flooded it any way once it warmed up it ran great. i think maybe stale gas perhaps i was told they had stabil in it but maybe what was in the carbs was crudy any way it ran great its so quiet when i throttled down i thought it died. its so quiet just hope the starting was a fluke. i think its slightly slower than the 2 stroke i had but this is also a little bigger boat thanks guys cant tell you how the heart sank when it wouldnt start.

well went back out again it starts but you have to keep feathering the throttle till it warms up. runs great other wise but for a new motor it should purr. also i found the owners manual it was in the storage box in the boat i was only told that the gas had stabil in it. i have since put it in the mower it was 87 octane bought non oxy and will try that. it doesnt have a choke so i'm not familiar with it. i was told turn the throttle to start hit the start button warm up 3 minutes and go. well they will be hearing from me monday. i just hope i didnt get a lemon. thanks for the help all

Okay Pike, remain calm at all times! Ha Ha Ha! You have the manual and can now spend some time reading how Yamaha would prefer to have you treat their new motor. Do not remember how many new Yamaha's or other 4-strokes I've had or messed with and they are a great improvement over the two strokes of olden times. But....the old ones DO have their charm.

I think a little patience and a reading of the basic operations in your new manual will have you cruising in no time. I will not tell you any of the basics because I want YOU to read them and then be out there tomorrow morning with Easter egg breath and chocolate on your chin starting that quiet little sweetheart up.