• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Windy Day Bass?

LOWinEYEin

WhaTT,
Did you try spinner baits on the developing weededges/logs? Platics next to the green bulrush? Cranks in open water or just ticking the tops of the weeds? Or put on trusty scum frog and go in the way back slop smile.gif I didn't even mention the good ol jig.

The big bass jigs with the skirts. Doesn't have to be big I guess. 1/4oz works most of time. Put a curly tail grub on the hook to add more bulk and movement. Make sure it has a weed guard.

Yep I got it and replied. You didn't get it? It never came back.

There are many manufactures of bass jigs that are weedless. Bass jigs are the ones with the big rubber skirt. Most of them are weedless (plastic type needles that stick out past the hook point.) I trim them a tad to get better hook sets.

I think you are talking about a lead head jig like a Fire Ball jig. Those can be good at times to by putting a curly tail grub on it. And some of those have a single wire weedguard.

So both types do have weedguards. We should meet up at Gander sometime and I can show you. I need to get some circle hooks for catfishing anyways.

I hope my descriptions are clear enough as they are two very different types of jigs.

If Im fishing topwaters in wind then I'll opt for a buzzbait, it makes more commotion the the waves and yet blends in to its surroundings. My approach to topwaters is to match the lure as close as I can to surface and sky conditions.

I like the Klacker buzz bait (I have black and yellow), but I only seem to get pike on it. Thus I stick to my frog tatics or rip a spinner bait just underneath the surface and breaking the surface a couple times in my retrieve.

Don't get me wrong, I have caught some bass on a buzz bait, but way more using little froggie. However, this is just me.

1/4 oz. white buzz bait works good for me.... I know a lot of guys use black buzzbaits for low light conditions and have good luck as well... I honestly don't think color is a big issue on a buzzbait as you are ripping it across the surface.