• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

skipping rods

andy j

I am trying to figure out what length casting rod I should get for skipping docks. I know the shorter the rod the easier it is to skip but I really don't think i want to use a 5 1/2 foot rod. I am thinking about a dicontinued 6 foot pistol grip st. croix avid, would this be a good choice? help AJ

Personally, I think people who skip on baitcasting gear are crazy unless it is on a pitching cast. Just make sure the rod has a fairly flexible tip for loading and shooting the bait. That seems to be the key with baitcast skipping. You should be able to get by with a 6 to 6'6" rod. My guess is that Avid with the pistol would be great.

Andy, look at the Falcon FS-6-156 med/heavy action. This is a 6 foot rod (spinning) that I've used for 3 years as my skipping/dock rod with great success. I've got a Quantum Responce Ti reel on it, but on of the new Catalyst or Kinetics would work also, these reels have no bail spring to break on hard hook sets, as the bail is magnetic. I've been using power-pro 30# and even with this short rod you can horse a fish out from under any dock. Your right bass pastor, not many guys can skip with a baitcast reel, one of my tournament partners, Cory P. does it with ease and can power a jig/pig combo under just about anything with very few professional over-runs.

------------------
Wayne
Agape Fishing Guides
www.agapefishingguides.com

You are blessed if you can skip with a baitcaster. I to use a 6`6 spinning im6 medium heavy with a mitchell 300 and really like it. There are a few new closed faced spinning reels out that look like they can handle the heavy line and the stress of a big fish under a dock. My dad is gonna put one on a bait casting rod this year. Opener is not coming fast enough for me this year. tictoctictoc. Flip

I use a Shimano 6' VCA MH V-rod... and works great. ... with practice you can learn to skip with a baitcaster...however, I think you are better off with spinning gear. I use both and can get further back with the spinning gear.

I have a little saying

Worry about gettin a fish out once you have it on. If you arent getting bit because you are not gettting the lure under far enough wich is worse? Not getting bit or getting broke off a few times?