• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Keystone Premier

loosegoose

Looking at getting a 2014 26RBPR Keystone Premier travel trailer. We're not new to camping but are new to travel trailers. We have tented and camped with a popup camper in the past. Anyone have pros or cons to this model? Thanks.

The only concern I see in this model is the kitchen slide out. The awning is on the curbside of the camper and the kitchen slide will stick out into that area.

This also means any awning has to somehow account for the slide out to avoid rubbing on the slide and tearing.

Its a new floorplan so its difficult to evaluate. There is very little info available.

It looks like the GVWR for the trailer is 7500 lbs and a tongue weight of 830 lbs. What do you plan on pulling this camper with? Do you have a weigh distribution hitch?

Quote:
It looks like the GVWR for the trailer is 7500 lbs and a tongue weight of 830 lbs. What do you plan on pulling this camper with? Do you have a weigh distribution hitch?

From this point of view, I will add my 2c

Do you plan on camping a lot? Do you plan on getting a seasonal site? Do you have kids? What kind of rig will you be pulling?

I'm asking these questions cuz our family did the exact same thing last year and HATE IT! We had a simple coachman pop up and traded it for a Cherokee 26 Bunkhouse and regret it. (Interested in buying it??)

We EASILY spend $200 a weekend to tow it most places, I have an expedition and average about 8 mpg towing. It's too big of a camper to just "pull into a state park". And we simply don't use it enough to justify the total cost. We have it for sale this year and are looking to get back into a pop up. We love camping but have found when your dragging this thing around, it turns out to be more "work" than relaxing. P.S. towing these in the wind isn't fun either. frown

I have seen this floor plan and it provides tons of room for a 26' camper. The awning does get a little close to the top of the kitchen slide out but since it has a power awning we will roll it in if the weather appears to be a factor. Actually the dry weight is 5755lbs and yes the hitch weight is 835lbs. I will be purchasing an equalizer hitch and will be pulling it with a 2013 F150 with the Ecoboost so I pulling it won't be an issue. As for dragging it around, that's exactly what we'll be doing so we'll see how that goes. chasineyes, thanks for the offer but we ordered this premier already. Also what is the dry weight of your camper and doesn't an expedition get 8mpg no matter if it's pulling or not?

I mean no disrespect, but your comment about dry weight tells me you don't understand the weight ratings of trailers and the reflection in real life weights.

Dry weight means a completely empty trailer, usually weighed without any options, without any water, propane, dishes, linens, etc. Dry weight is a number you will never ever see on a scale. By the time you deliver your trailer, you will most likely be over 6000 lbs. You've owned campers in the past, so I know you've got plenty of camping items to store in your new trailer.

That being said, the truck can make a huge difference. Depending on the equipment on the truck, your truck is rated to tow 7300 lbs at a minimum and 11,300 at a maximum. If you're on the lower end, then the truck will not be rated to haul this camper. The motor will definitely move that rig.

As far as the comments by chasineyes, its a matter of personal preference. I would say you should do your research before making such a large purchase and know the conditions you will be using it. Never trust the information from a salesman. The internet is full of sites like this that have RV/camping sections or entire sites devoted to RV camping. I haven't made any of my comments in a way to be mean or condescending. I just don't want you to make a $20,000 purchase and find out your truck can't pull it, or your mileage isn't what you thought it would be or the slideout sticks into the area you want to sit under the awning, especially since you're used to a certain style of camper already.

I have a 19' Rockwood Roo Hybrid that has a "unloaded weight" of 3600 lbs. My trailer weighs almost exactly 4000lbs with the single battery setup, and nearly 4120 with my dual 6v battery setup. When I load up with water, thats 4500 lbs. Load up the fridge and my trailer is usually around 4600lbs. Heck, the 6gal water heater holds 50lbs of water. Put food in the fridge and cupboards, and it adds up.

I tow that setup with a 2012 F150 ecoboost that has the max tow package. I average 9-12 mpg based on speed and the wind. That truck tows my little camper with ease, but I can tell its back there. I still need to use a properly set hitch and distribute the weight inside the camper properly or the camper will sway and pull on the truck.

Figure that stuff out in advance and your camper will be more enjoyable. Regret sucks, I know, I bought this first camper and planned to tow it with a different vehicle. Needless to say it couldn't do the job and I ended up with two big purchases. Good luck with your new camper.

I mean no disrespect, but your comment about dry weight tells me you don't understand the weight ratings of trailers and the reflection in real life weights.

Dry weight means a completely empty trailer, usually weighed without any options, without any water, propane, dishes, linens, etc. Dry weight is a number you will never ever see on a scale. By the time you deliver your trailer, you will most likely be over 6000 lbs. You've owned campers in the past, so I know you've got plenty of camping items to store in your new trailer.

That being said, the truck can make a huge difference. Depending on the equipment on the truck, your truck is rated to tow 7300 lbs at a minimum and 11,300 at a maximum. If you're on the lower end, then the truck will not be rated to haul this camper. The motor will definitely move that rig.

As far as the comments by chasineyes, its a matter of personal preference. I would say you should do your research before making such a large purchase and know the conditions you will be using it. Never trust the information from a salesman. The internet is full of sites like this that have RV/camping sections or entire sites devoted to RV camping. I haven't made any of my comments in a way to be mean or condescending. I just don't want you to make a $20,000 purchase and find out your truck can't pull it, or your mileage isn't what you thought it would be or the slideout sticks into the area you want to sit under the awning, especially since you're used to a certain style of camper already.

I have a 19' Rockwood Roo Hybrid that has a "unloaded weight" of 3600 lbs. My trailer weighs almost exactly 4000lbs with the single battery setup, and nearly 4120 with my dual 6v battery setup. When I load up with water, thats 4500 lbs. Load up the fridge and my trailer is usually around 4600lbs. Heck, the 6gal water heater holds 50lbs of water. Put food in the fridge and cupboards, and it adds up.

I tow that setup with a 2012 F150 ecoboost that has the max tow package. I average 9-12 mpg based on speed and the wind. That truck tows my little camper with ease, but I can tell its back there. I still need to use a properly set hitch and distribute the weight inside the camper properly or the camper will sway and pull on the truck.

Figure that stuff out in advance and your camper will be more enjoyable. Regret sucks, I know, I bought my first camper and planned to tow it with a different vehicle. Needless to say it couldn't do the job and I ended up with two big purchases. Good luck with your new camper.