• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

yellow bass on ice

fishingpreacher

I have a lake near me (Lake Anita, Iowa) that is loaded with yellow bass (in fact, I think they'll be poisoning it this summer). I was thinking of fishing for them through the ice. My question is: do yellow bass bite well in ice-covered water? Or are they more of a warm-water fish? Thanks for any input!

Yellow bass are in the same family as white bass and striped bass. They look like a white bass but as their name implies, they have a yellowish color.

Like white bass, yellow bass are quite active in cold water, so I don't see why they cannot be caught through the ice. The only problem could be is that since they are a schooling fish that roams open water the majority of the time, they may be hard to locate. If you can find baitfish, you should be able to find the bass. Good luck!

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

I've recently moved to the twin cities from northern Illinois where yellow bass are an extremely common fish to catch through the ice. The action can be fast and furious if you locate a school, and the schools are generally slow moving so the bite will often last for hours. Use larger sized teardrops or small swedish pimples tipped with waxies or small minnows. Small jigging rapalas will also work if the fish are aggressive. The bite normally occurs within 3-4 feet of the bottom.

About the only place you'll find Yellow bass in Minnesota is on the St. Croix/Missisippi. I've never caught one, and have never heard of them being in any lakes around here. Wappogasset in Amery WI is loaded with White Bass however...