• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camera Suggestions for product photography

I thought I'd pose this question to the resident experts. I'm a graphic designer that has had to take on a lot of product photography as part of my current job. I didn't have a lot of experience with it when I started so it has been a learning curve.

I am currently shooting with an old Canon Rebel EOS 300D. Not sure how old it is but its been around awhile.

There are a few things starting to not work so great and I know cameras have probably come along way since this one came out. I got the ok to purchase a new camera if I'd like so I am wondering if people can offer some suggestions as to what camera would be best and if there are any lenses that I should also consider looking at.

Cost isn't a huge issue. The company is usually willing to pay for quality and since product photography is so important to our marketing pieces that I create its worth spending to get the right tools.

Just a few details. I shoot almost exclusively on a white background in a white photo cube with white background paper. I have 4 photo quality cfl lights that I use (heat was an issue with my old Omni tungsten lights). A lot of the product I shoot is highly reflective and its virtually all metal so even a matte finish still has some reflection.

Let me know if there is any other info you need to provide a better answer. Thanks for the help.

Sounds to me like you have the hardest part of the job down, the lighting. The one question I will ask is what lens are you shooting with?

As far as cameras go if you already have Canon lenses I would stick with that. If price was no object a 5D Mark III would be my first choice followed by the 6D. Both are full frame cameras which is really the best option for giving you the widest view for close up work. The 6D also has built in Wi Fi which might or might not be beneficial to your shooting.

If I had a lens to choose considering you are shooting small based on your mentioning the photo cube, it would likely be the 90mm TS-E which is a tilt shift lens. This allows you to somewhat control plane of focus. Very useful with product shooting. With reflective objects it will allow you to tilt yourself out of the shot! You could also look at the 100 mm macro as a cheaper alternative.

The cool thing I would add would be the Cam Ranger. Take a look at their web site a search will take you right there. It gives you wireless control of your camera through a laptop, tablet or even phone. This allows you to get your shot perfect with out staring through a view finder. Hope the info helps! I do have some product shooting experience but not enough to call me an expert!

Thanks for the help. You've given me a place to start the search. I just spoke with the boss this morning about and price doesn't seem to be an issue. $2000-3000 for the camera isn't an issue at all and could probably go higher if I can justify it.

The products I shoot range in size from maybe 3"x4" to 6"x12" so relatively small and they are all metallic so reflections and glare are a big issue.