• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ixtapa Mexico fishing charter recommendation

beer batter

Going to be in Ixtapa end of March with 2 teenage boys (13 and 14) and my wife. Any recommendations for a charter outfit that will do something like a 1/2 day deep sea fishing for Marlin/Sailfish and another 1/2 day off shore fishing where you're more likely to catch fish like blackfin tuna to keep everyone interested. Good English, and good interaction with the customer is desirable.

We've fished with Alejandro Vargas 3 times and have always done well. His english is decent enough for basic conversation(may be better now it's been about 6 years since we fished with him). He's got good conventional gear and a nice super panga with a four stroke Yamaha on the transom. His family is filled with fishermen and his father Alfredo is one of the original "old salts" in Zihua. I highly recommend going down to the marina when you get down there and book with the guys face to face so you can see the boats, gear, and see how the bite is doing. Maybe show up at the marina between 2-3pm so you can see the boats come in and see who's flying the release flags. The going rate for chartering a super panga is around $220 for 8 hour day offshore. Good luck and have fun!

http://www.ixtapafishing-charters.com/fishing-charter-boats/esturion1.html

forgot to pass on the results. Went out with Captain Juan Lopez twice. First time with the family inshore fishing where we caught bonita, albacore, and yellow tail. While out the first time, he got reports that people were catching sailfish 20 miles out. Whole family wasn't interested in that, so just my oldest boy and I went the next morning for sailfish. Worked a deal for $180 on a panga full day. My son caught a very nice 11 foot sailfish, and I missed a striped marlin that shook the hook at the set. Great memories for a lifetime.