• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leaving a portable stand up on WMAs and WPAs.

NELS-BELLS

I would call the CO with the GPS coordinates. It's probably a bigger deal to the CO's than one might think because they sell confiscated equipment like that at the DNR auction and probably make money for the DNR.

With that said, I would just find another tree nearby. Who knows, you may get lucky picking the other spot.

If that fails, use a ground blind nearby.

Why do we assume that because that person left their stand in a tree they're some silly-me trying to stake claim to a portion of public land? Seems to me the guy left his stand. End of story ... why try to guess as his motivation and decide he's a jerk?

And I should admit - I've done it before. I know I shouldn't and it goes against regulations, but I'm aware of the risk and if I got to my spot and someone was there - even in my stand - I'll simply find a new spot. I typically will hunt out of a climber, and once in awhile, particularly if I know I'll be back the next day, I'll leave it attached to the base of the tree. I've never run into an issue, but I also typically hunt further back in the junk than anyone else is stupid enough to try. That said, by no means do I do it in hopes that it will keep someone out of the area.

Look at it this way: This guy has announced to you that he intends to hunt that area. That means you're going to need to get your own stand hung pretty early in the morning or afternoon for your own sit. But at least you know that now. It's public land, you ALWAYS will have the chance that there is someone sitting in a good spot when you get there. He knows that. You know that. It's a competitive spot selection, whether either of you like it or not. If he gets there and doesn't like the fact that you've set up there, I would calmly explain that there is no way for you to predict when he will and won't be in his stand.

I think it's a shame that we've immediately jumped to the list of things we could do to this guy's gear. Who probably worked hard for it the same way we do, whose probably just trying to put a little meat in the freezer, just like we are.

I understand it's pretty frustrating, but when you find a solid public land spot for the first time in late October, there's a pretty good chance you're late to the party. Whether someone hung a stand there or not.

I use to get irked by this but sometimes its a blessing in disguise. If you think about it I would rather know someone is in the area. They likely don't hunt like I do or take whatever precautions I take. They might be there every other day or checking cams all season long. The stands are probably overhunted and in obvious spots. In general I wouldn't want to hunt there anyway knowing all that info. Best to hunt somewhere else where there has been less hunting pressure. You also might consider setting up downwind of these stands to catch any deer scent checking them for hunters, especially if they have been there a while.

I'm not sure that their intention is to lay claim to the spot, although in a sense, that is what they are doing.

I just get frustrated that I have to go thru all the hassle and extra time to carry my stand and gear in and out each time because I choose to obey the laws, while this person gets to cheat and not have to do any of that. ...and they have secured a good spot.

It usually takes me about an hour from the time I leave my truck and bust my but, carring my stuff back into the spot, get set up to where I am ready to hunt. Add another 45 minutes for the drive and that means I have to get up pretty darn early in the morning to pull it off...legally. Then imagine showing up in the dark and finding a stand already in the spot that you had hoped to hunt, but with nobody in it because they probably won't show up until right before shooting light, if at all.

I have a select few spots at each of the properties that I hunt in my GPS and most are small pieces, so its not like there is an abundance of spots at each. Unfortunately I have no idea if someone has already set up a stand at the spot, days before I get there. That is why I am scouting now. I'm not really looking for new spots.

Nels

Not sure you're really late to the party because you enjoy scouting and hunting news spots all season long. It's public land. It's open to everyone all year, not just those who hang a stand and leave it.

As Nels said, the intention may not be to claim a spot but that's effectively what you're doing, intention or not. No one ever said it was done with malice. But bottom line, it's not legal. And if the rest of us like to play by the rules, it's not fair to fellow hunter who are also trying to put some meat in the freezer. BTW, playing by the rules IMHO also means leaving the stand be and calling the CO so they can come cut the stand down.

I personally believe you should lose your stand and your license for the season if they catch you. It's similar in principal, though not exactly the same, to those who shoot additional deer for their wives and girlfriends who don't hunt. You may view it as a little white violation of the law, like speeding, but it impacts the rest of us who are abiding by the DNR's regulations designed to provide hunting opportunities for everyone, not just you. In both cases, illegally leaving a stand or tagging a deer for a phantom hunter, you may be diminishing other hunters' opportunity to tag a deer as well.