• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lens not sharp?

As I've mentioned before, I write a blog, and take a lot of photos for that blog. Some of that involves food photography. Lately, my Tamron 17-55 seems to have issues with not being as sharp as it once was. At times, even though it is on Auto Focus, it doesn't do anything.

Could it be a connection issue? There are times when turning the camera off and on fixes it, but other times I have to take the lens off and put it on again.

I'm thinking I'll need to go to my 50mm for the food photos from here on out. I prefer not to use a tripod in the kitchen, so everything for me is handheld, which I know compounds any lens issues.

Do I need to be cleaning connections, or what should I look at doing to help this lens?

Other lenses seem to work just fine. This lens would not auto focus at times on my other camera body as well. I'll try cleaning the contacts on it.

Mike - It doesn't matter how far away from a subject I am. I'll take a few test shots this weekend with that lens and another, keeping them both on a tripod at the same distance, and see what happens.

I tried side by side shots between the Tamron and my Canon 50mm. Today, the Tamron was working fine.

I used a tripod, had the distance at 31 inches from focal point, and used the 2 second timer to prevent camera shake. All settings & lighting were the same. I switched lenses after taking a few shots in a row. There was very little difference in quality between the two. It frustrates me that the focus issues are inconsistent.