• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Traditional bow?

mainbutter

I'm seriously considering picking up (or my fiance may wish to gift me for xmas) a traditional bow. At the moment I'm very intrigued by "hybrid" or "reflex/deflex" longbows.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to go about selecting one?

The goal is to hunt whitetail deer with it smile

FWIW, I've been shooting a compound bow for 2 years now, a PSE/Browning Micro Adrenaline with 50lb limbs.

Try & visit a traditional shop if you have a chance. There's a great one in Rochester. Recurve poundage is nothing like a compound. If you're at 50# now, you'll want no more than 40# to start out with. There's plenty to learn with arrow spine and point weight, but a shop will get you on your way. Then it's all up to you! Good luck w/ the endeavor - I'm sure you're going to love it.

Off hand I cant remember min. poundage for big game. I would see if you can handle that weight at your draw first. Not all bows at the same poundage are equal. Some are faster and more efficient. Therefore you won't need higher poundage. The footed shaft in Rochester is a good place to get gear and they do sell used bows.

I have a RER LX at 45 pounds. It's a takedown R/D long bow and had no problem on a complete pass thru at 15yds, broadside. I it's a great bow.

Lots of optiopns for a stickbow. Having shot/tested to many to count, I think you'll "know" the one when you shoot it. Longbow grips are generally a wrist down issue, recurves are generally wrist straight. I prefer a longer (66"-68") "D" style longbow myself. They'll be no reason to go anything over 45#. If possible, try as many as you can before buying. Some places will let you take home and shoot a couple doz arrows first. There's a bowyer in Wisc that makes Dwyer bows. Starts in the upper 400 range I believe and they shoot outstanding. If you were closer to me, I'd borrow you one or 2 for a week to try. Good luck.