• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

JPEG Vs. RAW

Ok you more experienced shooters. Can I get some input on the two for photo sale sites, what has been your experience. And I have processed a couple of dozen raw shots (which is really a lot of fun). But in the process have totally lose a couple of files... I still can not find them in "my picture" or "photoshop organizer". So now I'm wondering if I should just stay with shooting large jpeg files. Using Photoshop 11.

Photoshop 11? Or Photoshop Elements 11? I'm not sure what photo sales sites you are referring to. There are thousands out there depending on what you are doing.

I don't use ANY of my programs photo organizing capabilities. One reason I don't is because of the issue you just mentioned. I use my own system which has been posted in the past here. Its simple, works for me and makes it easy to find what I need. Everyone is different on what works for them.

RAW will always give you the most information available from your files. Whether or not you need that information is up to you or if you are publishing up to the printer or publisher. I won't get into the debate on RAW vs JPEG. I shoot almost exclusively JPEG but I do very high volumes in my shooting and I have a nice work flow that works for JPEG and other than large posters never really have the need to use RAW. That being said when I am shooting personally something I want the most possible out of I shoot both RAW and JPEG at the same time.

To each his own, you have to decide what works for you.

Hi Dan:

I'm using Photoshop Elements 11. I've never had a work flow problem with jpeg... but raw is fun but slow for me. I was 100% sure I had the raw files saved to a "raw work file" when I made the trans to photoshop... guess not.

Are you getting this high wind and rain right now?

No not bad down here at all. Talked to my folks in Underwood this am they said weather was ugly up there. RAW can be fast if you have a good workflow for it. Experience will make things smoother and faster!

IMO, if a person is shooting mainly indoors, or outside late in the day, jpeg will work out just fine. But, if you spend all times of the day outdoors shooting wildlife, RAW can save you in less than ideal lighting conditions. There are many times that I would have ended up with blown highlights if I would have depended on just jpeg. This is why I shoot both but about 85% of the time I don't even look at the RAW versions. Another handy thing about shooting RAW is you can always shoot in AWB and change it in post, which at times can really improve the image.