• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rainy Lake Fishing

Just returned from our annual week long trip of fall fishing on Rainy Lake. One of the highlights of the year for me. I was lucky enough to catch the Aurora while up there. I will post some of those in a separate thread.

We watched an eagle make off with a dead walleye. Quite a story but I won't bore anyone with the details.

1. Coming in for the pickup.

3DBL6610-XL.jpg

2. Trying to carry it away.

3DBL6620-XL.jpg

3. Can't carry it! He did after a fight with another eagle manage to get it to an island for a gourmet meal

3DBL6600-XL.jpg

4. What we are there for!

3DBL6643-XL.jpg

5. Fish on!

3DBL6719-XL.jpg

6. Beautiful Smallie!

3DBL6723-XL.jpg

7. Another boat in our party.

3DBL6647-XL.jpg

8. Scenery always amazing!

3DBL6735-XL.jpg

3DBL6739-XL.jpg

10. Can't wait to get back!

3DBL6658-XL.jpg

How did you process #4 if you don't mind me asking? Looks like there is a bit more dynamic range than what typically comes SOOC. Might be the camera you are using too. On some of my photos from Colorado (shot with 1DII) I used a gradient and knocked exposure down a bit for the sky in some shots to get a bit more saturation. I know my new 6D has way more dynamic range than the old 1DII, but still not seeing the results you got from my SOOC shots. I have been giving the clarity and vibrance a slight bump, maybe +15/20 and giving the contrast a +10ish range and that usually gets me pretty close to what I want.

How did you process #4 if you don't mind me asking? Looks like there is a bit more dynamic range than what typically comes SOOC. Might be the camera you are using too. On some of my photos from Colorado (shot with 1DII) I used a gradient and knocked exposure down a bit for the sky in some shots to get a bit more saturation. I know my new 6D has way more dynamic range than the old 1DII, but still not seeing the results you got from my SOOC shots. I have been giving the clarity and vibrance a slight bump, maybe +15/20 and giving the contrast a +10ish range and that usually gets me pretty close to what I want.

Before

3DBL6643-XL.jpg

After

3DBL6643-XL.jpg

This is the shot straight out of the camera. As you can see not much required other then straightening the horizon (Was holding camera at water level) and some levels adjustments. I think I added a touch of vibrance usually around +30-40 some smart sharpen and that was it.

I may have gone a bit overboard on levels, specifically shadows but they look good on my monitor which is calibrated. This site lightens and darkens slightly what I see on my screen.

Oh I think it looks great too, all of the shots are awesome. Thanks for posting the before and after, like you said it was pretty darn close to start with.

I have been having a ton of fun with the new 6D recently. Shooting like crazy. I will post up some shots in another thread.

Thanks,

Tom