• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV or snowmobile for ice fishing mobility?

fishing addict

I have a Honda 400 4X4 that I use to move a 8X12 fishouse on wheels. Works great. I don't think a snowmobile could do this. I would not buy a snowmobile because of the limited time you can use it. ATV's you can use all year long!

Woodman

Fishing Addict;
I used to have to haul my portable fishhouse at least 1 and a half miles to the spot that I wanted to fish, by the time I arrived with all of my gear I was to tuckered out to move! I have owned atv's on and off for around 10 years. I just recently purchased two Honda Ranchers for the wife and I. I wanted something to do in the summer instead of just camping and fishing. But the main reson was for ice fishing. This machine makes it possible for me to travel to my spot without wearing myself out. Once I get there and cannot find biting fish, I have plenty of energy left to move until I find them. During the years that we do not have very much snow cover makes it a perfect time for using my atv! I have yet to use my atv when we have a lot of snow covering the lakes. I'm not sure how well it would go through the snow but I would think that it would still be better than walking! I'm getting a little long in the tooth to be carrying all my gear to my spots. The way our winter's have been the past couple of years should be a deciding factor on buying the atv over a snowmobile. Unless things change drastically in the next few years! Buy the atv and save your back!

I've went through 12 inches of snow with my Polaris Sportsman, not easily, but a lot easier than doing it on foot. It's pretty tough to tow anything in deeper snow, but I combat that by strapping my fishhouse to the back rack. I would say 90% of the time an ATV is usable on the ice. I don't think you could say the same about a snowmobile (i.e. no snow).

As far as I know, a snowmobile just takes up space in the summer. An ATV can provide hours of recreation. Go with an ATV.

fishing addict

You ask a good question, a person will definetly get more use from a ATV but they are limited in the amount of snow they go thru.

Atleast with a sled, 1-2 inches of snow and you are good to go, 3 feet of snow and you still can use it. You don't need a big fancy sled to get the job done a good 440 or 500cc unit will do, with todays market you can get a real nice used sled for about 1/2 the price of most ATV's, used or new.

We just bought a Kawi 650 Prairie this fall and used it to take our 8x18 house out on Lake of the Woods in early Dec. it worked great ( snow was VERY minimal ) but now when the snow has moved in we are a little leary about crossing the breakers with a ATV and use the snowmobiles instead. Breakers and cracks get to be more of a factor with a ATV than with a sled.

I don't know if this helps you any but I figured I would give you my expierence with this.

Good luck.

Mike