• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Recommendations to polish oxidization

krazyeyes

I'd start with an acid to cut the hardwater off (like vinegar or lime away) and see what you have underneath. Might just need some regular car wax from there. Just don't start more aggressive than necessary with a heavy grit restorer ( if it is not needed) or you will have to take some time to work out swirls.

I love the new Ice synthetic wax as a maintainer on a clean surface. It is expensive but a bottle goes a lonngggg way. Literally dozens of "waxings" out of a bottle. Does wonders on flat paint like on your trailer too.

Once you get everything shined up, an electric leaf blower is hard to beat for drying off a washed and waxed boat or truck (after the next time you wash it). Very little labor involved and just as fast or faster than wiping down by hand.

-Hope this helps

My boy added a used tilt/trim unit to his boat last spring and the used part looked absolutely terrible. I own a body shop so painting the unit was an option but would be a real pain with all the nick nook and crannies to prep for painting. Although it looked like it probably had been sitting in the water every summer of it's life I decided to try Lime Away first and after brushing an area several times started to see some progress about the time I ran out of the stuff. Went to the hardware store to get more and asked the gal working if they sold it in gallons,figured this was going to be a several hour job. She looked at me kind of funny and asked what I needed that much for and I told her what I was up to. She said if Lime Away was working to try Santeen which was in her opinion better. I bought a gallon and only had to use maybe a pint and only one application! Where the other stuff would foam a bit every time I brushed it on the Santeen foamed up big time even smoked a bit and walla,done! The part looked as good as the rest of the lower unit. If every product worked nearly as good as this stuff in the shop I would be truly impressed!

Muriatic Acid, only a couple bucks a gallon. Dilute as desired.

Note, Santeen drain opener is Sulfuric Acid, Toilet cleaner is Hydrochloric acid (aka muriatic acid) and the chrome and tile cleaner is phosphoric acid.

Which did you use?

Thinking it was the chrome and tile cleaner would have to look, still have most of the gallon left at the shop. The tilt/trim unit looked like one of those horrid looking lower units you see on some ones boat lift that never gets cleaned. Very impressive.