• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

prop pitch and blades?

slick2526

I am running a 87 Alumacraft competitor 16.5 with a 2000 honda 50hp 4 stroke. From other boats I have road in I think mine should be quicker to plane out then what it is. It takes a bit with two adults, 17 gal of gas, and full of gear. Normally I will be running 2-3 adults, gear, and 5-10 gallons of gas. Right now with the right conditions on the water my top speed is about 27.8mph

I really know nothing about what pitch to have and how many blades to have on your prop. I know 3 is standard and 4 blade is available for 5 bucks more. I want to stick with a honda factory prop. Im looking for the medium between getting up on plane, and speed.

What pitch of prop and how many blade would you suggest to me and why? Thanks

Slick, Sounds like you already are where you are going to be. A 16’ boat (relatively short and wide) loaded up with passengers and gear (read in: weight) with only a 50 HP four stroke is not going to be either fast out of the hole or speedy on top end. Rather, it should be a good all around combination designed for fishing. To get onto plane faster, try shifting weight forward as you take off (move a passenger), and experiment with your running balance.

I doubt you have a tach, so your ears can tell you a lot. Does your motor sound like it's getting up to proper RPMs? Or does it sound like too high or too low of RPMs at WOT?

yes its sounds like the motor is running at the proper rpm's