• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rebuilding a Lower Unit

Hill Lake

My lower unit, 1991 Mariner 115, needs attention as it won't go into reverse and may need re-building. Is this something that can be done without special tools? I have called around to various shops and they are quoting anywhere from $1200 to $2000 to do the work. I don't have deep pockets so.... looking at other options.

First of Welcome to the HSO family HillLake, Lots of great guys to help you out with info around these forums.

I tore mine up last fall and they want $750.00-$1100.00- for a rebuilt one and that's for a 1982 Evinrude 50 hp I just found a used one but its still pricey .I wish I could find a case and switch out parts myself but I just haven't found one yet. Mine still works its just that the case is busted.

I would first look into finding a repair( not owners ) manual for your motor and then read threw it to find out if any special tools are needed. Should be able to find one online some place or even a downloadable version.

Good luck I hope you find what your looking for

Thanks for the welcome message and thanks for the replies.

I think that I have been getting the run around so will check the cables first. And it also sounds like special tools are needed to get these rebuilt properly.

A problem I have now is that Cabelas Marine in Rogers has already taken it apart so will need someone with skills to put it back together. A plus is I can inspect the gears myself and see if I was getting snowed. Haven't cleaned the gears up enough yet to see what is damaged if any.

This motor has low hours for the year and I know this because the previous owner is very good friend of mine. So the gears should not be all that worn.

What ever the issue it will be expensive.

Thanks gain.

Sucks big time not being on the water.

Clutch dog for that unit is around $140. Seals are about 8 to 10 bucks each times 4. Worst case the reverse drive gear needs replaced as well at about $155.

Everything else is labor. If it were mine, I would take it apart myself and replace the clutch dog and inspect the reverse drive gear, replace the two top seals and two bottom seals and the water pump impeller and call it done. (done it on two other motors and neither were very hard to do).

Make sure before doing anything that there is no further adjustment at the top side by the shifter before tearing into the bottom end.