• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

question for u smart people

mnguy152

I just started feeding this year i have sunflower seeds out and thistle. It seems that the thistle isnt getting touched at all any more. isit becuase they change to something diffent . it seams like i still have the same birds around.

I use only oil sunflower year round in all the feeders. I put a thistle sock out if the red polls come in the winter. I keep 2 or 3 suet feeders up also. Nectar for those that like it. Hummers were here for a few days in May and none since. Strange. Finches and Orioles and Chickadees love the nectar. Used to always have the thistle out but rarely did it get used.

Depends on the year, time of year and what happens to be around here. I have 3 thistle feeders. One screen and one tube feeder are getting hit on by the goldfinches, and one screen feeder is not. Earlier in the year goldfinches were cleaning them out daily then suddenly slowed to a snail's pace. Recently their activity has picked up again. Over the winter there were lots of redpolls and thistle was their seed of choice here. Most winters we don't see many redpolls but we routinely have large groups of goldfinches that eat sunflower and thistle seed. The sunflower is universally accepted by our seed consuming birds. However we have a population of house sparrows that seem to think it's fun to monopolize and empty the sunflower feeders so they can eat it off the ground. I make sure the thistle remains part of the equation and snuff as many house sparrows as I can.

I have thistle which went untouched for quite awhile and now the finches are abundant! I had suet for the woodpeckers but that really attracted the grackles and cowbirds. I have nectar for the hummingbirds and orioles. I only see a hummingbird once in awhile but not like last year. Still quite a few orioles though.

I also have sunflower seeds that the grosbeaks and nuthatches eat.

WHATS GOING ON WITH BIRD FEEDER I FILLED IT AND HAVEN'T SEEN A BIRD IN IT THERE WAS Alot of BIRDS BEFORE OR DURING THE HIGH DEW POINTS.DID THEY LEAVE TO A COOLER AREA,WHERE DID THEY GO?

BAT