• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

03 arctic cat 400 4x4 opinions?

arcticcat400

For your intended purposes, the 400 Cat would be a good machine. I believe this is the 376cc Suzuki engine and has a good reputation.

As far as the true 4-wheel drive, I think there's a locking front diff. available in the aftermarket.

I have 2 of them, well one is an 04 400. They are decent machines and would work well for what you mentioned. I do trail ride them and they ride decent, but they are higher so they won't corner as well as something a little sportier. But I can drive over pretty good sized logs, so that is a plus! I would get an FIS one as they ride pretty decent. The 03 has actually been the better of the two. They redesigned the front driveshaft in 04 and well it wasn't the best design. I believe they fixed it in later years.

Not sure about locking the front diff on an 03, but if you go to an 05 and up, that is the year they added it in the 400. I figure the ground clearance makes up a bit for not having a locking diff. You can also get an an 03 for a decent price if you look around.

Good luck.