• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lockport or Selkirk Advice

A friend has talked me into a trip next weekend for some big cats (it wasn't hard to do). I spend many hours on the water but none of it is chasing cats. Any advice on current/water levels, equipment, location, or presentation would be helpful. Do you prefer Lockport or Selkirk?

Thank You

From everything I've been reading, the spring bite was solid this year. Be advised that there usually is a slowdown in July and picks back up in late August, but you should still be able to have a good time and catch some fish, just not the pre or post spawn peak with 50 fish (or more) days.

There was a recent cat die off when about 300 fish got caught in the locks and didn't have enough O2 to survive, but that shouldn't affect your trip a whole lot.

What we have found the last few times up there is that the prime bite is after dark, but that was in late August. If you experience a slow bite during the day, be sure to try the 9-1am bite.

I know the spring bite keys in on Goldeye and Sucker, then later turns towards frogs and Tulibee in the fall. I really can't speak for the best presentation for July as I haven't fished up there then.

The entire stretch from Lockport down to Lake Winnipeg is chock full of cats. Everyone seems to always to be drawn to the St Andrews dam, but our success has always been downstream away from the other boats. However, fishing near the dam is part of the experience and I'd recommend to to fish there for a while no doubt, but don't be afraid to explore, there is great water with big cats downstream.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

I'm fired up, only a few weeks away. I know the current can change a lot before my trip in late August, but I'm looking for advice on size of hooks, weight, line, and so on. Not sure on how to use frogs or where to find them. Is heavy bass equiptment strong enough or should I use my Musky setups?

Dtro, I tried to PM you but site said your box is full.

We are running 4/0 to 8/0 circle hooks, slip or solid rigged. 60-80 lb braid. Goldeye, whole Thai shrimp, even sucker is still producing. Frogs are great, make sure they are dead if bringing them up. Pm inbound.