• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bigger Livewell

UMC

I have a 2003 Alumacraft Yukon 165. I love the boat, but the livewell is a little small when you start putting more than 4 or 5 walleyes in it. A buddy and I were kicking around the idea of putting a larger one in as a winter project or something. Just wondering if anyone has tackled this and if it would be worth the trouble or really even possible. I haven't researched parts, etc. Thanks

Why? confused

You're going to keep them anyway, so why go to all that expense and trouble and just keep pumping water in.

I agree. Huge livewells are great for tournament pros who need to have live fish for the weigh-in. But for 99% of the average-joes out there, a cooler with ice will be just the ticket. Or even the livewell you have now with ice smile

True, true. It is not a big deal but I figure if it's something that could be done for a couple hundred bucks it would be a nice upgrade. Keeping them alive on a summer day is nice to keep them fresh. I am a fan of the cooler/ice method but with 3 people in the boat having to add a good size cooler to keep fish makes it a bit tight.

UMC, I also have a 2006 Alumacraft Yukon 165.

I agree the livewell is almost a joke in these boats.

Also knowing this boat as well as I do, I dont think there is a good way to put in a bugger one.

The boat is comfortable for 2 people fishing, or 3 if you take limited gear with.

I tend to use the livewell for storage more than anything, or I throw my leech keeper in there.

True, true. It is not a big deal but I figure if it's something that could be done for a couple hundred bucks it would be a nice upgrade. Keeping them alive on a summer day is nice to keep them fresh. I am a fan of the cooler/ice method but with 3 people in the boat having to add a good size cooler to keep fish makes it a bit tight.

In MN anyway, you cannot leave the landing with water in your livewell...So you're "Fresh" fish, bake in the sun on the ride home. In a cooler with ice, your fish are very fresh when you get home, and you wouldn't believe how long a walleye will live if you just put them on ice. I removed my livewell and when i want to keep fish, i bring the cooler (Actually i've got more than enough storage in the boat to have several coolers) grin When you try to put as many fish in a livewell as you are talking about, you would need a huge livewell just to allow enough space for them all to stay alive, most likely you will have some die anyway and in hot water, that is something i personally avoid.

I have a very large livewell but on hot days, tough to keep the fish alive for a half day.

For the ride home, cooler and ice as the water has to be drained. I suppose one could leave the drain plug out on the livewell and put some ice in there but when traveling down the road, water will run out the drain and a CO may have an issue with that as you could not prove it was ice from a store and not lake water.

Cooler is so much easier.

Yep, I always have the cooler with ice waiting in the truck for the ride home. I'll probably just start filling the livewell with ice (ice machine at home) in the morning or bringing the cooler onboard.

OK, here goes. Has anyone actually been checked by CO's or seen CO's who were actually checking for drain plugs and such??? I ask this question because I haven't and I see many boats going down the road with the drain plugs still in the boat. It would seem to me that they (CO's) would be focusing on fishing regulations on the water or at the ramp when you come in off of the water.

Mike

Last year up on pelican I got hit by the CO because I showed up at the ramp with the plug already in the boat.

Gave me a verbal warning, but I guess they can ticket you for it if they chose.

Wasn't even my boat... I was just towing it for a friend whos truck was in the shop.