• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Got a new boat!

Selmer

Well, I'm actually relieved that I'm not an silly-me for finding it. smile Does finding this linkage/problem involve taking the lower unit off?

Nope, should not. My guess is that there might be some type of set-screw or other type of adjustment in the handle or more likely at the other end of whatever comes out of the u-joint-gear where the handle attaches to the motor but that is just a guess on my part. Basically it sounds like it is not turning/pushing the gear "engager" (I know, not a real word wink ) quite far enough to fully engage. On remote motor this is simple via a screw adjustment. Someone here will know how to check it smile

First off, stop shifting into reverse until u figure out your problem. You're causing more wear on the clutch dog in the lower unit.

full-13203-35387-image.jpg

Look at numbers 38 39 43. Is this your setup?

Not a lot of adjustment but, To check for out of adjustment or worn parts. Have someone help you with this next step.

************WITH ENGINE OFF AND KILL SWITCH IN OFF POSITION OR SPARK PLUG PLUGS REMOVED********

With you shifter in neutral, note the shifter position. Then, as your helper rotates the prop counter clockwise, slowly shift into forward until clicking starts and note shifter position. Then as helper rotates clockwise, slowly shift to reverse until clicking starts. Note shifter position. Is there equal travel from neutral to "clicking points"?

Do this and well go from there

boatfixer, you nailed the parts of concern. Thanks for the blowup - I couldn't find that anywhere! But I finally took a look at where adjustment could possibly be. I didn't adjust it the way you're recommending, I did it the "farmer way". I took it on the river, turned it out by half turns, checking each half turn, until I had positive, solid engagement and it stayed in reverse. It took 3 full turns out, making the linkage longer, to get positive, solid engagement and the reverse to stay in gear. I'm certain it's repaired, but I'll try your check when I get home as well.

Your check of travel forward and back is consistent - the same in both directions. I'll call it fixed. Also installed a Hot Trim foot switch today to replace the OEM switch that crapped out. Works perfectly. Set to fish again...