• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hooded Oriole?

MN Shutterbug

I quick took this shot thru the window because I needed to find out what it is. I knew it was different than the other orioles and it sure matches the drawings and photos in my books of a Hooded Oriole - 1st summer. But, they're also not supposed to be found within 1000 miles of here. confused

8748330633_02e653864e_b.jpg

That makes more sense. I relooked in my Sibley and there sure isn't much difference. There is quite a bit of difference in my Stoke's Guide. Now I need to prepare and hope he returns tomorrow so I can maybe get a decent photo.

Thanks.

I cheat. grin They've been regular summer guests here now for over a decade. Between neighbor David's farmstead and our establishment, they produce offspring each season. Hope you get to see and photo one of the mature males. Not as flashy as the Baltimore perhaps but unique in their right. cool

I saw my first orchard oriole on thurs while visiting my mother in NW Iowa. All kinds of birds visit her feeders, but thursday it was the goldfinches that stole the day - dozens of brightly colored males and a lot of females were in her yard going after the thistle and safflower seed she uses. At one point on only one of her stations I lost count at just over 24 males all at one time. They must be migrating through right about now. She said that yesterday there were a lot fewer. She has some around nearly year long, but she has never had a concentration like that before.

At one point on only one of her stations I lost count at just over 24 males all at one time.

Wow, that's a lot of yellow. I thought I was doing good when 8 showed in my yard during the brief down pour yesterday. They sure can brighten up the yard.

Eyeguy, lucky you. I'm still watching. I just wish the sky would brighten up a bit today.