• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dirt for garden

mrklean

Delivered or pick up yourself? Any local nursery store should have a recommendation for a black dirt delivery contractor. It's about $12-$14/yard delivered by the truckload. Also, if you want some nice compost to mix in when you till, I have as contact just south of Buffalo that I can give you. PM me if interested.

Hennepin county and anoka county both have compost for sale. Hennepin gets a bit weird. Cost is about 15 dollars a yard but Hennepen wants a minimum of 3 yards at a time but one time I called they said 1 yard. I guess it is whoever is working at the time. Anoka county is 10 dollars a yard for a resident or if you are not from Anoka it is 16 per yard. These prices are if you get it with a truck or trailer and they load it with a bobcat. My garden of 10 ft x 40 ft has about 5 yards in it and everything seems to grow good. If you are organic this probably will not work. I am sure the lawn clippings they use to make the compost has all kinds of things like pesticides and weed killers.

You can try Schwartz Excavating over on Scenic 7. I have bought rocks from them. There's also a place on Golf Course Road west of T&M Marine that has compost and dirt. Also, on the River Road southeast of town is the local compost site. Use to be free, but I haven't gotten any there in a few years.