• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oil / Fuel Stabilizers / Gas - what to use in new Optimax 125

dil

Just picked up a 2013 Lund 1775 Impact with a 125HP Optimax. Wanna take care of it correctly from the start. Any advice for type of oil, stabilizers, and type of gas to run through this motor to make it last?

Definately do what the Mercury owners manual says. I have a 2008 115hp Optimax and I only use Mercury oil. I do add fuel stabilizer that is compatible with ethanol fuel. I do not burn ethanol if I can avoid it. I usually buy fuel at a marina to try to avoid the ethanol when I am in Minnesota and it is usually 87 octane. I never could get a definate answer when I asked the ethanol question.

I do know a fellow that has burned ethanol (from Wal-Mart) in his motor since it was new and he has never had a problem.

It sounds like you have purchased a nice boat and motor. Take care of it and it will give you many good years of service.

Mike

The first rule is "Read the Fine Manual" or RTFM. Many places in northern minnesota and some in the rest of the state sell 91 octane alcohol free "off road" gas for use in boats, off road vehicles, and collector cars. That is what I burn in my boat.

ive had two opti's always ran merc optimax/dfi oil and mercury quick clean in the fuel, never had a single problem with either one! congratulations on the new boat!!

Always run oil designated for DFI use. Do not substitute with conventional 2 stroke oil.

As far as fuel goes, mercury states 87 octane as the minimum. You can most certainly use non-oxy in there.

There are lots of fuel conditioners out there. Obviously mercury sells a full line of that stuff to.

As stated above, read your owners manual.

Enjoy the new rig!!