• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

canoe paddle length

Depends on how tall you are, bow or stern, paddling style, and the aluminum canoe will maybe need a little longer.

Stop in REI at 494 and Lyndale. They will help you choose a length and style.

If you are going to be paddling long distances then get a decent paddle. Lighter makes a big difference. Otherwise get one of the ones with the aluminum shaft and plastic blade. Not bad and indestructible.

There's a lot of personal preference regarding paddle length and material. I am 6'0 and use a 58'' wooden straight-shaft paddle most of the time. I know people shorter than I am who use 62'' or longer. Some people my height like a 54'' or even shorter. I suppose you'll just have to give a few a try to see which kind you prefer.

What kind of paddling are you going to be doing? Whitewater is different from putzing around on a local lake which is a bit different from doing long distances in the BWCA or Quetico. For example, I spend a lot of time paddling whitewater, so the longer paddle helps with leverage during drawing/prying/sculling. I also think it's nicer for j-stroking and pitching, but that's just me. I'd also never take my fancy carbon-fiber paddles into a river....that's a good way to turn an expensive paddle into an expensive and useless stick.

If you're going with a bent-shaft, then I think the rule is roughly 4'' shorter than a straight-shaft for your height.

And as Del says, if you can afford it, a nice paddle is worth the investment. The Bending Branches ones are fairly reasonable, and they're tough (with an awesome return policy). The cheapo aluminum ones work, no doubt, but if you plan to spend any time on the water, a small investment can go a long ways.

By the way, I'm 5'6" and use a 52 inch bent shaft.

The plastic and aluminum paddles are great for going upstream with a lot of shallow rocks, since the are cheap and durable and you don't feel bad pushing against the rocks with them.

The rest of the time, not so much.

Thanks guys. The canoe will be used at our cabin on vermilion and occasionally might go into the boundary waters some. My oldest son and I are 6'0", my youngest son is 6'2", and my wife is about 5'5". I think I'll pick up a pair around the 56-58" range.

Thanks again for the input.