• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Youth bow

surewood

My son has been asking for a bow. Thinking about the diamond atomic which I can buy from a local store. Any other suggestions? He's six years old, 43" tall, and 40lbs so it has to adjust to around 10lbs and the actual weight of the bow has to be manageable. I also like the fuse freestyle, but it's hard to find one. Of course he wants it to look like an adults bow.

Surewood, a few years ago I got my son a Diamond Nuclear Ice. I've been happy with it- that little thing really zips arrows! But, if I had to do it over again, I'd go with a Mathews Genesis. Pretty fuss free and will last him until he's ready for a bow that would be good for hunting (at 6 you won't find a bow that I would consider letting my son later use for hunting-- some exist that are that adjustable, but not ones I'd consider personally).

I bought a Mission Craze for my kid brother (10yrs) last season and he really likes it. I think the craze can be adjusted from 15lb to 60lbs or something like that. The craze comes with a nice warranty, is very quite, smooth and definitely is a shooter. I am considering picking another one up as a spare/blind bow because I like it so much.

I've considered the Genesis. We have a local pro shop that carries them. I probably bring him up to look at them. Just not sure if it will look enough like "dad's bow" for him. The other bows mentioned I like, but are getting on the spendy side for his first bow. I kinda decided if I was gonna spend 300$ or more I'd just go all in and get him the Hoyt ruckus. I can get the full package for 500$. Harder to pick one out for him then it is me. Gonna take him to look around soon. Thanks for the info.

Hill City has a strong NASP program in the school. If he gets into that, he'll want his own bow and that will have to be a Genesis.

You can make it look like your's by getting it in camo, adding sights, stabilizer, different rest, and other gadgets and then taking them off if he uses it for school competitions.

I would go with a Genesis for a 6 year old. That is what I did with my kids. My older boy I started with a Genesis. Last year he turned 10 so bought him a Hoyt Ruckus. What a good bow. Shoots very good, very adjustable, and it is small. Perfect for a growing boy/girl. My younger boy is 7 and he has a Genesis as well. Bought it and he has shot it a couple of times. I am guessing this year it will be more....I hope. My opinion, get a bigger bow at about age 9. Good Luck

I think the Genesis is the best bow to learn on. Both my kids started with the Genesis at 3-5yrs old. We still use it to teach the neighbor kids and family.

Now we have a Mission Craze. It is a fully adjustable adult featured bow that was fully outfitted for under $400. It goes as low as 15 lbs for little ones or it can go up to 70lbs for me. My daughter wanted it ordered in all black, but you can get it in camo.

I picked up the diamond atomic. Although the others seemed great he's small for 6 and can easily handle the atomic. Great bow for young and small framed kids. I bought a youth patriot release and put a peep sight on it. Adjusted his sight and he's shooting good groups at ten yards.