• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pinched Nerve in Neck

MNUser

I'm a chiropractor and I recommend exploring all your options. I'm happy to hear that you are speaking to one of us soon. Surgery can sometimes be necessary. However, everything they do is permanent, your body has the capacity to heal and it is wise to exhaust it's healing ability before getting knifed.

Most often, there is damage to the joints in the spine at some point. This leads to misalignments and 'guarded' posture. Your symptoms only started recently, but usually, the process started a long time ago. Having an altered posture puts more stress and strain on your discs. Eventually the camel's back breaks.

Chiropractic care works on the joints and the discs to correct and alleviate the tension on your nerves. Relaxing and toning the muscles with exercise, stretching, massage, PT etc. can all help take that tension off as well.

The good news is that I've seen plenty of people with your profile of symptoms get better without drugs and surgery. It is a serious condition and you should expect a thorough rehabilitation process. PM me if you have any more questions!

been reading this thread and all have valid points, but for the patient this is what you need to know and it is your job as the patient to ask a lot of questions and keep asking for professional referrals if you are not happy with the answers you receive, but if the answers you are receiving have a common denominator then maybe the professionals are correct and you need to heed their advice

I have a pinched nerve in upper part of neck that radiated pain to back of left shoulder and all way down left arm. for longest time I (assumed) it was a rib constantly popping out in back (which in part it was) and I was usually feeling better for 2-3 weeks after chiro adjustment. after over a year I just got sick of it and went to med doc. they immediately referred me for "nerve tests". those tests came back with average to above average dysfunction meaning something was wrong in my nerves somewhere on the left side. so they traced nerves to spine & discovered through MRI/CAT scan I have arthritis (bone spurs) growing on spine and irritating the nerve(s) in question. after physical therapy (and in home spine retractor) I am able to manage it enough to deal with it. I also had choices of cortisone injections (which I have my own opinions of) and spinal fusion surgery. I was actually a month away from surgery when my wife talked me out of it. its not that it may have been good/bad but we really did not know what to expect post surgery wise regarding healing, better or worse/ overall mobility etc. after doing our own research I just decided to nix the surgery because I figured dealing with pain in my current state would be better than (possibly) losing strength, mobility, and movement if that where to occur post surgery when it is too late to turn back.

bottom line is you have to know your issues, your pain level, and what you expect as a possible outcome or solution. Learn and understand your issues and get very specific details and questions written down regarding them and take them to a professional that will answer them, and you need to keep seeing professionals until one satisfies you. I did 4 neurosurgeon referrals b4 I felt I knew the exact diagnosis and all options. sounds like you are not happy with where you are at now, that means you need to keep looking for other possible diagnosis and/or solutions to them but if everyone gives you the same answers and you are still dissatisfied either you are not asking the correct questions or you have to believe and accept what they are telling you.

everyone reacts differently to different things, you have to know your personal strong points and weaknesses and inform your providers of that info and see how that can relate to your overall healing success.

ex. I will personally never take another cortisone shot the rest of my life for my own reasons, however my dad absolutely swears by them, got me to try them, and his preliminary degenerative spine disease is virtually wiped away whenever he gets his shots every 2 years. difft strokes for difft folks.

sorry for the tedious post.

best wishes and good luck, I hope you can find answers and relief