• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Possible last trip for the ice this season.

I know I could probably fish another two or three weeks but the snow is melting down in the southern part of NH and with the increase in daylight I can get a lot done that I need to before open water. I plan on stocking up a limit of white perch tomorrow (hopefully) and then I'll be full on prep mode for the open water. lots of reels to reline, gear to organize and stuff to do with the boat and trailer.I'm really looking forward to open water this yr. My boat is about as complete set up wise as I could ask for. One other treat I'm thinking about but it isn't a necessity, then again none of it is, lol.

I'll report back here how we make out.

Spike

Well we got out today instead of Saturday. My buddy had some project at work that kept him home Saturday and called me late Sat. to see if I wanted to go today instead. Ahhh Yup I will. So we headed up and arrived as the sun was coming up. It was just like winter! 20 degrees and it was making ice till the sun got higher. It was an absolutely perfect day to fish. No wind to start and a nice easy walk out. Problem was the fish came hard. We managed to pull 11 or 12 before the initial set of holes dried out. At that point we went in search mode and found a couple other holes that produced for a little while before they dried up as well. Back towards our original set and we found a few more holes with some cooperating fish. We ended up with about a limit and a half of white (various sizes) and four decent size yellows that we took. A few smaller whites went back as well as a bunch of yellow perch. We had to work for them but that is what made the day great. Blue and white produced most of the fish. My buddy fished gulp minnows only and the larger fish came on those. I started with Gulp switch to the few remaining spikes that hadn't died on me and tried a Whip at one point and garden hackle as well. I ended the day fishing the gulp. I fished the blue and white as well as green and orange and neither out performed the other. When they were there and not biting then it seemed like no color would get them going. So we picked all morning moving from hole to hole with a couple here and there. We left at noon as we were both hungry and we didn't see the bite as getting better any time soon. One thing we did figure out today is that there will definitely be ice next weekend. There was 20" of ice (most I have had to drill thru this yr). With tonight's low of 3 degrees up there and the weeks forecasted temps next weekend should be a go. We are suppose to get some snow so that could hinder the walking. Guess we'll wait and see. It would be nice to get out one more time for the best eating freshwater fish.

one can only hope.

Spike