• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnesota Valley or Carlos Avery?

Has anyone from the metro been around MN Valley NWR or Carlos Avery lately? Seeing anything? Gonna make an effort to get out on Sunday and get some ducks, might hit both spots. By the way, if there's a lone hunter in the metro area who might be interested in joining our trio on sunday send me a message at: [email protected].

------------------
"You're gonna need a bigger boat"

-Chief Brody (Jaws)

I was up at Carlos hunting pheasant this week, and in our exploring drove all through carlos, including the big swamps in the middle, there were dozens of vehicles all over that belonged to waterfowlers. So unless u go there during the week prepare for a crowd. Saw some ducks being shot over one spread that had about a half dozen motorized deeks.

Well, there's been a change of plans. Looks like the seasoned vet in our group wants to hit Marsh Lake out west, Lac Qui Parle WMA this sunday. I've been out there a few times and overall was pretty impressed by what I saw. Even shot a few. We'll probably stay out there all day and if we have the strength and determination we might hit Carlos Avery on monday for a morning hunt and then maybe call it quits for the year. It's getting pretty brisk out, we'll be breaking out the ice fishing gear real soon, I think...

Well, there's been a change of plans. Looks like the seasoned vet in our group wants to hit Marsh Lake out west, Lac Qui Parle WMA this sunday. I've been out there a few times and overall was pretty impressed by what I saw. Even shot a few. We'll probably stay out there all day and if we have the strength and determination we might hit Carlos Avery on monday for a morning hunt and then maybe call it quits for the year. It's getting pretty brisk out, we'll be breaking out the ice fishing gear real soon, I think...

------------------

-Chief Brody (Jaws)

If you are going to LQP or Marsh on Sunday you better bring your ice skates smile.gif
It's going to be anywhere from 10 degrees tonight, 12 degrees Friday night, but slightly warm into the 20s thereafter. Those lakes are 2-4 feet deep.

You better find deep lakes to hunt.

Yeah, were gonna have some ice to deal with, as to how much, I'm not so sure. We're willing to break some ice if necessary, bringing an ax along for the ride. Not sure if I know of any huntable bodies of water deeper than 2'-4' this year, but I'm open to suggestions. It's not a bad idea to have a plan B ready...

------------------

-Chief Brody (Jaws)

How is carlos, is everything froze up?? Im thinking of trying pelican instead, no deer hunters and usually open water for a long time. Pelican has been bad this year. I havent fired a shell the 2 times I hunted it and my friends havent shot a duck there this year, last year they got like 8 ducks there, thats not alot but for them it is since they get about a duck a box. I also havent shot at any geese there this year, got some good snipe shooting in though early goose opener. I was knocking them down with BB. An altogether bad year out at Pelican in wright county for me and my friends. Maybe I will get into some divers out there today or tomorow. I will post my report if I shoot anything.

I went to pelican for the evening hunt and dident fire a shell. The lake is almost completly froze over. there is a small patch of open water at the oposite side of the lake from where I was hunting. Scared a duck off the ice of a small pond but it got up way too far away for a shot. Saw maybe 40 ducks and 25 where in one flock. Saw only 2 flocks of geese. I think besides rivers the season may be over for the central part of the state north. I am heading to SW MN for the last weekend. Hopefully I will bag a couple mallerds then.

Just an update. I'm done for the year. Decided against going out last weekend. Hope everyone had a great season. Mine could have been better but I'm not complaining. We'll get 'em next year. Almost time to get ready for ice fishing, that'll keep me busy for a while...

------------------

-Chief Brody (Jaws)