• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strikemaster Chipper Blades vs Lazer Blades. Which would you prefer?

MidCoast

Chipper vs Lazer. What are the pros and cons? Which would you prer and why?

I am thinking about making the switch to a Chipper and I want to know more about it. Since I don't know anybody who uses a chipper.

Plan and simple if you have a wheelhouse you need a chipper to re open holes. They're a little slower than the laser blades but they excel in sandy wind blown places where the ice could be dirty.

Once again there excellent for re opening holes!

Not very good for hole hoping

+1 on what Dan said.

I had a 10 inch chipper blade for a long time and it works great for reopening holes in the wheel house, but slow when drilling holes for hole hopping. That is why I bought a lazer 8inch blade. A lot faster for hole hopping and if I need to reopen holes in the house I switch the blade shafts. (only takes a minute)

Well, I have both. Lazer works great for poppin' holes and run and gun. Chipper works for this also, but drills a little slower. I also have the Lazer elect. and it reopens holes in the wheel house awesome! I guess all depends on your needs. Hope this helps!!

I have both the 8 inch chipper auger shaft and the 8 inch laser auger shaft. If I need to re-drill holes I'll use the chipper. If I'm drilling new holes in the house or run and gun I use the laser shaft. Like Hubcat said, it only take's a minute to switch them on the power head.

The chipper blade/auger head is a single blade cutting system equivalent to a serrated kitchen knife. The Lazer cutting blade/auger head is a dual cutting blade system equivalent to two fillet knives or razor blades.

I do not re-open holes anymore but the chipper auger can be tweaked and used to an extent reopening holes of non-repair. I have three augers which were deemed this.

As far as an auger goes I recommend the lazer all the way. If possible just limit reopening holes to ones that are only a few days old or a few inches thick and stay out of sand, weeds and rocks. Best cutting auger I have owner so far. smile

Well, I have both. Lazer works great for poppin' holes and run and gun. Chipper works for this also, but drills a little slower. I also have the Lazer elect. and it reopens holes in the wheel house awesome! I guess all depends on your needs. Hope this helps!!
What is a lazer elect that reopens holes awesome?

You should be fine switching drill units a buddy of mine has a lectra and he has a 7" laser underneath it. We put a 224 unit underneath a 2hp solo and look out! It rips through ice like hot butter no joke it was funnier punching holes than fishing sick

Yep, the best auger combo I have owned is Strikemaster Magnum 2.0hp Solo with an upgraded lazer cutting head/auger.

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Lite and burns through 50 holes and leaves you wanting to do more. smile

What's an upgraded auger head?

If you go directly to StrikeMaster you can purchase the upgrade to replace the chipper cutting head/auger that comes OEM with the Magnum Solo. smile

Yep. Sorry guys but if you read back I was talking about the dual bladed Lazer and not the 224 or dual chipper. wink

The chipper blade/auger head is a single blade cutting system equivalent to a serrated kitchen knife. The Lazer cutting blade/auger head is a dual cutting blade system equivalent to two fillet knives or razor blades.

I do not re-open holes anymore but the chipper auger can be tweaked and used to an extent reopening holes of non-repair. I have three augers which were deemed this.

As far as an auger goes I recommend the lazer all the way. If possible just limit reopening holes to ones that are only a few days old or a few inches thick and stay out of sand, weeds and rocks. Best cutting auger I have owner so far. smile

Originally Posted By: brook100
I have the 8" 2HP SM magnum with the chipper blade on it. Is it possible to switch to a Lazer shaft or will the torque of the lazer shaft be too much for the 2HP magnum and ruin the motor?

Originally Posted By: Shack
Yep, the best auger combo I have owned is Strikemaster Magnum 2.0hp Solo with an upgraded lazer cutting head/auger.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Lite and burns through 50 holes and leaves you wanting to do more. smile

I thought they quit making those because they were eating up gear boxes. I do know it takes their biggest horse power head to turn them properly, or at least thats what they told me when they first came out a year or three ago. That has to be a lot of resistance.

Here is my take.

I've had a laser since 1996. I used it for everything from hole hopping to re drilling in the permie. The ONLY year I had issues re opening holes was last year with the warm weather.

The laser will reopen a hole just fine if it freezes enough to get a good start.

However, this year I decided to add a second auger bit to the mix so I could get a 10" hole in the permie. I chose to go with the chipper since it's only duty will be reopening holes in the perm, and listening to everyone tell us that chippers are the way to go for reopening, I went that route. (this is my first chipper owned)

I'm VERY happy with this dual setup. I'll agree, the chipper is better at reopening holes. But a laser can do it most days also. Do I want to lug the 10" chipper around and hole hop.. no I don't.

I'm very happy with having both. I realize that isn't practical for everyone, but it works great for me and I got a great deal on a used bit off the old list so it wasn't a wallet breaker either.

If I were to have to choose one over the other, I would base the decision on what percentage of fishing I do out of a permie vs porty and not worry about it any further than that.

You have it exactly right Gus! I love my ION but I still have a SM for hole hopping.People say it's crazy to have two augers but to me it's an affordable luxury. Now if I can just swing a bigger permanant confused

Fsnrod, they had one for a very short time a couple-three years ago but I have'nt heard a whisper of them since. I think it was when Solo first hit the scene, how long ago was that? Time flies

A dual bladed Lazer is'nt an upgrade.

The Magnum 2.0hp Solo comes standard with the single blade chipper. To get the Magnum 2.0hp Solo and Lazer cutting head/auger together you have to pay to upgrade.

IMO this is an upgrade over the single blade chipper. Night and day difference in cutting.