• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Something Old - Something New

Hendy

I think yesterday was our last spearing trip for the season. I have a few thoughts on being back in the sport after three decades. I really enjoyed the thrill of seeing northerns charge in or slide slowly into the hole. It brought back a lot of memories. I don't know how you would explain it, but the closest I can come to describing the experience is seeing a nice deer stepping out in front of my stand. I even experienced a little "buck fever." Northeast South Dakota has a lot of potential for spearing. This water has not seen a spearing hole for a long long time. Although I am anxious to purhase more life like and "unconventional" decoys, the old red and white color combination was hard to beat. The Fish's ice saw is the real deal. It went through 24 inches of ice between my auger holes like a champ. I think it also saved me from a heart attack. Finally, I found a great spearing buddy. My wife is a natural. She could have even let a hammer handle go after wedging it between the tines. It hardly had a scratch. Catch and release spearing is hard to do. I hope you are lucky enough to have a spouse that not only comes along, but gets after it. We hope to meet some of you in person at the decoy shows this spring. P.S. Although neither of us ever achieved the 6 fish daily limit (my wife had 5 one time), we took home plenty of fillets. Our biggest was over 8 pounds. The average was between 3 and 4 pounds.

Thats awesome Hendy Glad to hear you found a way to spend quality time with your wife I mean new spearing partner. keep us posted on how you are preparing for next year we would love to hear about your adventures through out the season before after and during.

Thanks for sharing and sharing the sport.

The water quality where we were (Lake Poinsett) was good. The visibility was fine until recently. There may be lakes with more fish, but less clarity. Mercury is an issue on some smaller walleye waters.